Thursday, June 10, 2010

G-List: 25 Favorite Glee Performances (Season 1)

Glee was the out-of-nowhere underdog when it debuted exactly one year ago. A cast of unknowns - most of them shockingly normal looking - in a musical series was such crazy idea to begin with. I mean, it was something that hasn't been successful since, umm, never!! But for whatever reason, this scripted series just became one of the most highly talked about show for the past few months. And yes, I've been obsessing about it since then.

And now that the first season of my beloved Glee came to a close, it's just about right to take a look back at some of the most unforgettable interpretations of classic tunes and even obscure songs. 

Here's my 25 Favorite Glee Season 1 Performances:

25 Ride Wit' Me
Glee Cast
(Episode 7: Throwdown)
I love the Ride Wit' Me session! You know why? Because none of that was auto-tuned or studio-recorded, just raw talent - the best kind! 

24 Keep Holding On
Glee Cast
(Episode 7: Throwdown)
Keep Holding On seemed like the point where the whole glee club was telling Quinn, "We'll be there for you!". A pivotal moment in the show and a touching one at that. Quinn, to me, just brought her character to a new level.

23 True Colors
Glee Cast
(Episode 11: Hairography)
True Colors was stunning in its simplicity. I loved that there were no moves and razzle-dazzle to it. And it was also nice to see Tina have her musical moment.

22 4 Minutes
Mercedes and Kurt
(Episode 15: The Powers Of Madonna)
Yes. I was a little iffy about this because I thought this song was not really suited for Kurt's voice, but he definitely made me want to go back in time and slap past me across the face for thinking such a ridiculous thing. Kurt and Amber sounded awesome together, and the choreography backed with the set, lights and Cheerios was amazing.

21 Taking Chances
Rachel
(Episode 4: Preggers)
Sure, Taking Chances number was a little short, considering that it was one of only two songs in this episode sung by the characters, but it was more than enough for me to appreciate it. It was, as usual, a spot on vocals for Rachel. And while I disagree of her choices during that episode - leaving Glee for instance - I completely forgot about that when she started singing the song.

20 Halo / Walking On Sunshine
Glee Cast - Girls
(Episode 5: Vitamin D)
While I equally adored the guy's mash-up of Confession / It's My Life, I thought the girls had the better vocals and crazy choreography. Haha. When I heard the song prior to the episode, I wondered why it was so manic and now I know why and that made it hilarious. Oh, and how I love Rachel on drugs! She talks 2x faster than she normally does. Haha.

19 Vogue
Sue
(Episode 15: The Powers Of Madonna)
Who would have thought Sue could actually pull this one off? Haha. The music video was probably one of the my favourite moments from the series thus far - just for "Will Schuester, I hate you"and Chris' hilarious double-take. Ha! Hysterical. Enough said.

18 Bust Your Windows
Mercedes
(Episode 3: Acafellas)
This was Mercedes' first solo on Glee and it was fabulous. I personally didn't like the episode at all, but this number almost made up for it. Who would've thought Mercedes can even dance? Not me. Oh, and I really liked how they made this a dream sequence.

17 Dream On
Will and Brian
(Episode 19: Dream On)
Ok. This number was as epic as Danny Gokey's Scream On. Finally! We have a Dream On high note in tune - first time on Fox. Haha. Brian Ryan killed those high notes and Will Shuester was also impressive.

16 Bohemian Rhapsody
Vocal Adrenaline
(Episode 22: Journey)
Say what you want about Vocal Adrenaline being soulless but one cannot deny the fact that it was technically the best performance on the show. The choreography was excellent and the singing was good. Yes, the cover on its own failed to capture the intensity and passion of Freddie Mercury but it was a good attempt nonetheless. But what made this exceptional was the idea of putting together the song and Quinn's screams on this number. It was absolutely genius! No doubt in my mind that this scene sequence was done so masterfully. Obviously, the intercut of Beth's birth just brought this performance to another level.

15 Bad Romance
Glee Cast Girls and Kurt
(Episode 20: Theatricality)
Bad Romance was really good. Everyone - except for Brittany - had a part to sing, the choreography was splendid and the costumes were top notch. Catchy, fun, and a brilliant showcase for the talent of a very large segment of that cast. I wasn't so sure about the way they shot it though. The lighting effects and slow-mo stuff were a bit distracting. But that's just me nit-picking, so whatever. Haha.

14 A House Is Not A Home
Kurt
(Episode 16: Home)
To me, Kurt's voice was sheer-perfection and his performance was so heartfelt. It was obvious that he performed this with miles more emotion and raw feeling than any other song he did on this show.

13 The Boy Is Mine
Mercedes and Santana
(Episode 18: Laryngitis)
One word: SANTANA! Haha. Sure, she had somewhat of a solo during their Like A Virgin number a few episodes before this but that was with 5 other people singing with her. This, though with Mercedes, was good enough for me. Ha. It was intense and they both acted the crap out of this tune.

12 To Sir With Love
Glee Cast
(Episode 22: Journey)
Yes, this particular number turned me into an emotional mess during the season Finale episode. I don't know. For some weird reason, this felt genuine with raw emotions just bursting out from every character. Oh, and all of the kids confessions during this scene, especially Kurt's "I wasn't honest about who I was" and Santana's "I hated everyone in this club" seemed really raw and cathartic. Sigh.

11 Sweet Caroline
Puck
(Episode 8: Mash-Up)
Puck's Sweet Caroline serenade gave me goose bumps, it was shockingly good. I mean, just look at Puck's face as he sings to Rachel. No matter how much of a jerk he wants to act he's not deep down. And even if he was, he wouldn't go through all that trouble to get into her pants. Right? Haha.

10 Run Joey Run
Rachel with Finn, Jesse and Puck
(Episode 17: Bad Reputation)
The Run Joey Run music video complete with bad acting and amateur editing was GLORIOUS. It was awesomely bad, from students walking into Rachel as she tried to sing in the hallway, to the bad acting, to the cheesy editing, and her hilarious wink at the end. This was was one epic piece of film making. Haha.

09 I Dreamed A Dream
Rachel and Shelby
(Episode 19: Dream On)
Wow. I thought that this performance was surprisingly breathtaking. I mean, there goes all the naysayers thinking that Lea and Idina can’t top Susan Boyle. Well, Susan Boyle can bite me after this episode’s phenomenal version of that song. Haha. And although how they set this up was a bit lame, I didn't really care. The vocals were fantastic and it really showed the value of using Broadway songs on this show.

08 Push It
Glee Cast
(Episode 2: Showmance)
This number was freakin' hilarious!! Haha. I couldn't stop laughing during the whole performance. I love how they edited the sequences - from showing the glee club performing, then cuts to the expression on the audience faces, to Figgins tapping on the floor with his eyes closed like he was in some sort of a trance. Haha. Genius! Arguably, one of the most wonderfully awkward performance on ths show.

07 Defying Gravity
Kurt and Rachel
(Episode 9: Wheels)
So which version do I prefer? Well I'd say there's not a better version.. both are just different. I do like Kurt and I do want the lead vocals to be spread out more but this song is one of those that just makes sense for Rachel to sing. That said, I could feel Kurt's passion a bit more. While I think Kurt did a lovely job, I can't deny Rachel's voice. So, whatever. Haha.

06 Somebody To Love
Glee Cast
(Episode 5: The Rhodes Not Taken)
This episode finished with the showstopping Somebody to Love. Honestly, I was disappointed that the song was cut so short, but it was definitely good, and I totally loved how they set it up. Rachel was brilliant in the song, Finn was surprisingly good and Mercedes' line gave me chills. Now, this girl can belt out a deep note better then anyone. Really. She sang the very last note, and the roof of McKinley High School nearly blew off. Ha.

05 Don't Rain On My Parade
Rachel
(Episode 13: Sectionals)
Beyond amazing! Rachel’s Don’t Rain On My Parade brought the house down. Seriously. This was perhaps the best cover rendition on Glee all season. Now, ignoring the singing itself for one moment, which was spectacular, the use of coming in from the audience and singing amongst the crowd I thought was brilliant! Then having the rest of the group walk in at the end was a nice touch. Amazing.

04 Journey Medley
Glee Cast
(Episode 22: Journey)
I was stupidly grinning when New Directions sang a Journey medley at the Regionals. It was like coming full circle from the first episode when Rachel, Finn, Mercedes, Artie and Tina sang Don’t Stop Believing. Sure, the regionals version didn't clearly trump their original take on the Journey ditty, but I loved the fact that the minor characters got some solo lines in it. And although New Directions would have done just fine with just Faithfully and Any Way You Want It/Lovin' Touchin' Squeezin', this medley just brought out the crazy fanboy in me.

03 Rose's Turn
Kurt
(Episode 18: Laryngitis)
The best solo performance this season. No contest. It was heartbreaking, sarcastic, bitter and beautifully executed. Gypsy + Chris Colfer + KURT in lights + spatting his frustration = PERFECTION. Enough said.

02 Like A Prayer
Glee Cast
(Episode 15: The Powers Of Madonna)
Sheer epicness, through and through. Seriously. This gave me goosebumps within the first 10 seconds of the song. Rachel's soaring vocals were phenomenal. I love the choir, the variety of voices and the upbeat tempo of the song. If there's a number that can rival Don't Stop Believing, I think this will be it.

01 Don't Stop Believing
Glee Cast
(Episode 1: Pilot)
The one that started it all! To me, no matter how many great musical performances the cast gives, Don't Stop Believing will always be their signature song that's associated with the show. This defines Glee! Seriously. Everytime I listen to the song or watch their performance, it just brings me back to the day I learned about Glee. Who would've thought that this little show would invade my life. Haha. There's no doubt that this version is just amazing and it still makes my stomach twist with excitement. So, anyone else find themselves listening to this song OVER and OVER and OVER.. and then singing it when it's not on? Haha.

7 comments:

Anonymous said...

awww... "home" is not in the list. :(

-kent

Robbie said...

This was the list I was gonna make! Hahaha. But I'm gonna narrow it down to 10 (as if that's possible) cause it's too much work for me. Nyahahaha. Oh and we have different #1s! Hehe.

Nice list!

DAM THE NATION said...

Kent, you know what, I was thinking about that along with Poker Face. But I can't really squeeze it in there. Haha. :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie, believe me, narrowing it down to 10 will be hard - like hepatitis. haha - i mean, i originally planned to do 15 but I can't. it's just impossible. Haha.

I guess your number one is between Don't Rain On My Parade or Defying Gravity? Random lang. Lol

Alain Joel said...

just my thoughts, super agree with number 1, don't stop believing defined the phenomenon that is GLEE! rose's turn is definitely the best solo! bad romance and bohemian rhapsody should be up there on the list. i like the guys' mash-up better than the girls'. to each his own. hahaha! =)

DAM THE NATION said...

Aj, yes, to each his own. Haha. I like Bad Romance and Bohemian Rhapsody. To me, I like Bohemian because of how they intercut Quinn giving birth. That made the whole thing almost EPIC. Now, as for Bad Romance, it was really good I just didn't like how they edited the number with all the unnecessary slow mo and other effects. Hehe.

Mr. Brightside said...

My favorite performances are (in no particular order):
1. Don't stop believing (from episode 1) - for me this is the quintessential glee performance/song
2. Somebody to love - Nice harmonies and Mercedes was amazing during her solo towards the end
3. Like a virgin - i don't know why, i thought it was sweet and sexy at the same time. Also, I was pleasantly surprised by Santana's debut solo... damn girl you can sing... haha
4. Bad romance - simply because I like Lady Gaga... hehe

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...