Monday, June 28, 2010

Idol 100 - John Stevens

100. John Stevens
Season 3, 6th Place
 
Well, someone had to be last right? It almost feels weird revealing John Stevens first. I mean, he is easily one of my least favorite Idol contestant, and it almost feels like I need to build up to it. Haha.

But seriously, I couldn't let myself not put John on the countdown. I mean, the sheer epicness of Crocodile Rock alone should not be ignored. But since he's by far my least favorite contestant appearing on the countdown, coupled with the fact that he wouldn't have been on here otherwise, I decided to put him smack dab at #100.

Season 3, to be honest, was actually the very first season of Idol I watched - well, technically. The very first episode that I saw was the auditions in New York, where John did a pretty lame Dean Martin impersonation. It was pleasant but weak. But obviously, he made it through to Hollywood.

Now, when he made the Top 12, he wasn't even my least favorite contestant of the season. But as time went by, I started to realize how terrible and one-dimensional he was as a singer and a performer. His performance during the Top 10 week when he sang My Girl was probably one of the most awkward, unnatural and flat performances I had seen in my life. I thought maybe it could be just a fluke. But NO!! Because..

The following week we got Crocodile Rock - the most (made-up word alert!) epically horrible performance in Idol history. Really. I don't care if Idol runs for 50 more years but there will NEVER be a performance that was as bad as this total trainwreck - and I mean this in the sincerest way possible. From the horrible dancing, to the voice crack in the 'la la la' part, to the total hilarity of him even attempting a song like that. It was epic in more ways than one. Haha.

Since then, John Stevens became more of a joke than an artist. Surprisingly though, after delivering dud after dud, he kept moving on to the next round. Now, the last straw was when he outlasted one of my favorite contestants of the season - Jennifer Hudson. Do I fault him for it? No, not really. But that doesn't mean I have to like his voice. John's elimination still remains, at least to me, one of my favorite Idol moments ever. It was so nice to see justice after the previous week's travesty. Enough said.

Favorite performance(s): Well, I thought John sounded pretty good with King of the Road. But there's no doubt in my mind that my favorite would have to be Crocodile Rock because it was such a horrific disaster that it's entertaining to watch. Thank you John for this golden gem in Idol!

King of the Road


THE Crocodile Rock


#99 - LEGS!

10 comments:

Robbie said...

Wohoooo I got a point! Crocodile Rock was a big disaster. I was laughing so hard when I watched it before.

Legs??? Una kong naisip is Jeanine Vailes. Lol. But I doubt she's part of your list so.... Haley Scarnato! :D


Nakakainis. Nae-excite ako sa Idol 100 list mo. Wahahaha.

Paolo said...

I really don't remember much about him but I think he is good. Haha. He seemed to be a nice person and he sounded cool in his 'King of the Road' performance but his 'Crocodile Rock' is unexplainable.

Legs? It's hard to think, I'll just tune in until the last drop. Hehe

Anonymous said...

i think legs is haley scarnato.. :P i remembered her being saved for another week because of the judges' comment about her legs.. haha

gddepadua said...

HAley!

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie, yes, one point for you! Haha. I'm thinking if I should make this a game as well. Para more interactive. Haha.

And yes, THE Crocodile Rock, that's as epic as anyone could get. Haha.

DAM THE NATION said...

Pao, he has a pleasant voice but unfortunately for him, he was born about 50 years after the time he should've been. Haha.

He probably would've been a very successful jazz singer back in the day, but it's the modern pop/electronic age already and he's not going to have a career nowadays, which is exactly why he doesn't have one. :)

Yes, just wait for it. Hehe.

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous, I think she survived week after week because of her outfits and outrageous short shorts. Haha.

DAM THE NATION said...

Gerard, let's see if you're right. Haha.

gddepadua said...

jeanine vailes? dalawa lang naman yan e. or meron pa?

DAM THE NATION said...

Gerard, wait for tomorrow. Haha. Excited? :P

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...