Thursday, July 1, 2010

Idol 97 - Melissa McGhee

97. Melissa McGhee
Season 5, 12th Place

Melissa is an extremely talented girl although I didn’t care much about her. She didn’t seem like anything special as she was just there to me. I predicted - and wanted - her to leave right before they picked the Top 12 and when she did make it, I was seriously pissed because she made it over my other favorite female at that time, Ayla Brown. Ha.

However, I do admit that Melissa has a pretty cool raspy, bluesy country voice and her bluesy-rocker singing style was unique to that season’s bunch. It's actually a cool voice, but not terribly unique or distinguishable. I think she has an amazing upper range too.

Now, although at first I didn't think she deserved a spot in the Final 12 during Season 5, Melissa didn't really do anything terrible to merit being eliminated at 12th place - hello, Kevin Covais! Haha. To me, she was mostly a victim of limited airtime. I guess one could make the case that she would've gotten a substantial amount of airtime if she had a more engaging personality, which is probably true.

I remember Simon often told her that she was forgettable and I couldn't agree with him more. I mean, when I think of Season 5, I think of so many names very quickly and I guarantee that Melissa would be the last one I'd remember. Maybe she had no charisma whatsoever.. I don't know. 

All that being said, if I had heard more of her I probably would've liked and appreciated her as a serious artist. Too bad she didn't catch on as the "country chick" of Season 5 because a Top 6 with her in the place of someone else would've been pretty good, in my humble opinion.

Favorite performance(s): Why Haven't I Heard from You was good.  Before that week she just seemed like a bore, but she proved to me with this performance that she has a terrific soulful country voice that I could enjoy. Sadly, can't find a video of that anywhere. Her rendition of What About Love was pretty underrated and her take on Stevie Wonder's Lately was good although I cringed a couple of times when she forgot her lyrics twice.

What About Love


Lately


96# - This contestant has done prison time.

12 comments:

Robbie said...

I don't like cause she got in instead of Ayla. She's not even that good. Ugh.

I have no clue who #96 is. :(

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie, I literally almost died when Ayla got eliminated. Haha. I remember I was driving when someone texted me about it. Haha.

But I honestly thought Melissa was a bit underrated. All her performances were good but the problem I had with her was that she just doesn't have that x-factor to really make it as a recording artist. And yeah, she robbed Ayla Brown. Haha.

Really? No clue for #96? Hmm..

Anonymous said...

For someone talented like Melissa to not get ANY pimping that she DESERVED from those jackasses is a crime against humanity.

DAM THE NATION said...

I think she's underrated but I don't think it's a crime against humanity. :)

Gerard said...

ang galing kaya ni mcghee! though i love ayla, i thought mcghee did a lot better than ayla. kamusta naman ang "unwritten". super simple lang.

DAM THE NATION said...

But I think you'll agree with me that she's very forgettable. Haha. And I thought Ayla's 'Unwritten' was totally unexpected but at least she tried something more current than the usual songs we got that night. Haha.

Gerard said...

yup pero that week is a make a break week so she could have sung something more challenging. kaya yun.

tapos ang freaky pa nung scream ni mcghee nung nakapasok siya sa 12. haha.

DAM THE NATION said...

I agree. She should've done that maybe Top 20 night? Oh well.

Anyway, Melissa McGhee just doesn't scream STAR to me. Haha

Gerard said...

haha. panoorin mo yung moment na nakapasok siya sa top 12 and you'll know what i mean.

DAM THE NATION said...

I can't find it anywhere. Haha.

Gerard said...

youtube wala?

DAM THE NATION said...

Unable to find any - even in youtube.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...