Saturday, July 17, 2010

Idol 81 - Justin Guarini

81. Justin Guarini
Season 1, Runner-up

Yes, Season 1's runner-up is at #81.

Sure, he's quite a good singer and I really wish I could put him higher. And I probably would, but he has one serious flaw. He's cheesier than a four-cheese pizza! Really. No one can come close to the corniness that is Justin Guarini - well, maybe Ace Young but I don't want to talk about him. Haha.

Seriously. Justin was another of the guys in Season 1 that was a boy band type of singer. He made up for it by being a rather cheesy, over-the-top performer, but it wasn't something I care to watch. For Once in My Life and P.Y.T made for entertainingly awkward television. Haha. 

I also don't think he has a very distinctive or memorable voice. It's good, and he showcased that the most in Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me, but that's all it was. I thought Route 66 - mainly because he went the jazz route, - Someday We'll All Be Free, and The Look of Love were pretty decent, too, but nothing that wowed me. Personally, Justin's voice did tend to get on the whiny side in a lot of his performances and I think he would over-do some things vocally.

Also, one thing I was never crazy about was his personality. It seemed like he tried way too hard to come across as genuine and humble, and he just seemed fake. And I'm not saying he is, I just think he put up a slight front, which made me think he was the opposite.

Now, I think the judges over-estimated their "talent" of Season 1. I really do. If you watch back the Top 10 episode, Simon told Guarini that Justin Timberlake needs to watch out for him, which is quite laughable - especially in hindsight. I mean, Justin was good, but he NEVER really came close to displaying the caliber of talent Justin Timberlake has, in my opinion, not to mention the artistry. So, that was kind of funny.

I do think that Justin could've been a bigger success than he was though, with the right songs and better marketing. He seemed to get pushed to the back burner. But I think he's content with the direction he is going in now, and I think the whole jazz thing is a great place for him.

Favorite performance(s): Not so sure. Justin had a lot of decent ones, especially when he just sang without bouncing around and bopping his head - and bouncy hair - all over the place. Don't Let the Sun Go Down on Me and Route 66 are definitely my two favorites. His vocals were very smooth and controlled with a  beautiful tone. Oh, and he really pulled off the scatting in Route 66.

Don't Let The Sun Go Down On Me


Route 66


Interlude: 20 Best Selling American Idol Alumni

4 comments:

Robbie said...

Hmmmm I missed this. Didn't really know much or care about him. Wahahahaha.

Nako napa-research ako sa next clue ha. Pero ang daming iba-t ibang sources so give-up na ako. Wahahaha. Parang ang hihirap ng mga clues lately ha. :))

Pao said...

Yeah, he's so cheesy! I wanted to kill him for being always over the top. Haha.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: Haha. Nalito ako sa second paragraph mo.

DAM THE NATION said...

Pao: Yeah. Cheesy as hell. I don't know who's cheesier though, him or Ace Young. Haha

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...