Tuesday, July 13, 2010

Idol 85 - Chris Sligh

85. Chris Sligh
Season 6, 10th Place

Chris Sligh was kind of a jerk. Not at Constantine-level, but still.. Haha.

When I first saw Chris in his audition, he joked about looking like Christina Aguilera and wanting to make David Hasselhoff cry. Haha.

I admit, his strange sort of likable arrogance, matched with his strange looks and flat out goofy-ness led me to believe that he was going to be an audition bust. And then he sang Kiss From A Rose and thought he sounded really really good. Sure, nothing too special or memorable but it was better than most audition clips we saw that season.

Chris then entered the Top 24 as one of the favorite male contestants in the competition because he was 'different' and could actually sing decently. However, he delivered a weak version of a relatively obscure song Typical. Chris had poor breath control, he rushed the beat, he sang pretty nasal a lot and he had a bit of a lisp. None of that I could ignore.

He then followed that up with two more fairly decent performances of Trouble and Wanna Be Loved in the semifinals. To me, his great sense of humor helped win him some votes to enter the Finals but that original charm seemed to fade in the Top 12 week.

Yes, he managed to prove that his voice wasn't all that bad and he had a bit of power - I even think he has a pretty good studio voice. However, I thought his performances were a bit hit or miss during the Finals, especially his last performance Every Little Thing She Does Is Magic.

I also got annoyed with him as the competition went on, particularly when he claimed that he didn't want to win the competition and was going to quit anyway after he was eliminated somewhat prematurely in the Top 10 round. That just left a bitter taste in my mouth.

Favorite performance(s): His version of Trouble wasn't as good as Alex Lambert or even Taylor Hicks but I think he did justice to the song during Top 20 week. He sang it pretty well, besides an incredibly nasal beginning, and I think he felt the song.

Audition


Trouble


#84 - Got a kiss from Simon after the performance.

6 comments:

Pao said...

His performances are pretty decent. He got some technical problems but he's quite memorable.

DAM THE NATION said...

Pao: There were some decent one but nothing really spectacular to actually be an 'American Idol'.

Peejay said...

not a fan of chris sligh! hahaha.. i consider him forgettable.. i was just really rooting for jordin in season 6..

the next one is lakisha. season 6 again.. haha :p

DAM THE NATION said...

Peejay: Yes, he was mostly forgettable. I think I was rooting for Jordin, Melinda, Blake and Chris that season.

Robbie said...

Haaaay I am late to comment. Chris Sligh is okay. I liked his audition din pero the rest di masyado.

I didn't watch Season 6 except for the audition rounds eh. But I really like Melinda and Lakisha.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: Yeah. What happened? Why so late? Haha. But yeah, Chris Sligh was just ok.

Melinda and LaKisha? What about Jordin?

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...