Friday, July 2, 2010

Idol 96 - Scott Savol

96. Scott Savol
Season 4, 5th Place

Ok. Let me say that I really think Scott Savol was severely underrated during his season. He really can sing, and I think people forget that. No, he didn't have the best performances, but he's a talented dude, and he didn't deserve all of the hate he got. I guess people confuse personality and talent way too much.

Now, I'll start from the beginning. When Scott came in to audition, I knew he was obviously going to be another bad singer. I mean, he looked.. well.. he didn't look like an American Idol. He was wearing pajamas, and he sounded very confident - and as we know, people who think they are good NEVER seem to actually have the talent to back it up. He came in, talked to the judges, and he seemed like a genuinely nice guy. And then he opened his mouth to sing and I died. Haha.

Seriously. His audition was like a Susan Boyle type of moment. I was shocked to realized that he has a very rich and soulful voice. I was seriously stunned, but very pleasantly surprised. I thought it was a terrific audition and without any hesitation, Scott became one of my favorites and I had very high expectations.

Sadly, Scott never quite lived up to the quality of his audition. I thought he did okay in Hollywood, but I remember him most for his problems with his group and his prediction that if he went home, it would be in April or May.

In the semis, he was also just alright for me. He did pretty well with You Are My Lady, but I didn't like his up-tempo songs as much, primarily because they weren't fast enough and to me, he always struggled with trying to keep up with the beat - particularly in Never Too Much. He sometimes looked and sounded awkward. His stage presence was not the best, either, even though he tried hard to improve it, particularly in Ain't Too Proud To Beg when he ventured off of the main stage.

Scott also had poor vocal control throughout many of his performances in the finals -  One Last Cry, The Impossible Dream, She's Gone, and Dance With My Father. I did think that he gave us a few good ones, though. Against All Odds fit him like a glove and his rendition of Everytime You Go Away. Sure, they weren't amazing, but still soulful and genuine - even though he wasn't as expressive as he could have been. Perhaps Scott shouldn't have lasted all the way to 5th over some other people, but it wasn't a travesty like some people said.

Favorite performance(s): The best vocals I've ever heard from Scott was his audition. I don't think people quite remember how good it was. Watch it and tell me you're not impressed. Haha. Other than that, I think he did a good job with Everytime You Go Away by Brian McKnight. The song fits perfectly in his range and he showed that he has potential to be a modern R&B artist. It was definitely his swan song.

Audition


Everytime You Go Away


Oh, and listen to his new songs to be released pretty soon HERE and let me know what you think.

#95 - Black Country Girl

10 comments:

gddepadua said...

boo scott!

Robbie said...

Oh yeah. Scott Savol.

I dont like him at all. Maybe on the verge of hating him.

Okay I think I actually hated him during his season. Hahaha.

95 is Haeley Vaughn? But she's not a finalist. :|

DAM THE NATION said...

Gerard, come on, give the guy a break, he's a decent singer. :D

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie, I liked Scott at first and then something happened, which made me not like him but not really resent him or whatever. Haha.

And I mentioned in my general notes that "All contestants that made the semifinals from all nine (9) seasons are eligible for this countdown." Hehe. :D

Gerard said...

haeley nga.

DAM THE NATION said...

Haha. :D

Gerard said...

8 am ka nagpopost? e nasa school na ko nun. haha. kaya lagi tuloy akong late. haha. well, napanood ko yung halos lahat ng seasons. yung season 1 and half nung two yung di ko napanood.

DAM THE NATION said...

yes, 8am. :) it's ok though, you can backread just like what you're doing now. hehe.

Peejay said...

i also think its haeley vaughn.. haha.. i kinda liked her before the top 36.. haha! i never liked scott..

DAM THE NATION said...

I like Haeley Vaughn as well. :)

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...