Sunday, August 1, 2010

Movie Review: Salt

This movie, I dare say, was one of the best action films this year - a no nonsense, kick the crap out of everyone who gets in your way action movie. Haha.

Seriously. I genuinely enjoyed the movie because unlike many of the films out there, this one got spunk! It was that kind of movie that kept me on the edge of my seat and gave me a good adrenalin rush, which most action films failed to do so. It also had enough twists and turns that made things interesting, and somehow, almost too tiring to watch - in a good way, of course.

Now, I thought that the perfectly casted lead, Angelina Jolie, made the movie excellent! Her performance was impressive and she proved once again that she's a bad-a*s. I mean, she had given me a run through with a whole gamut of emotions from her non-verbal expressiveness that brought an emotional depth to her character to the palpable passion during her terrific stunt works through out the film. To me, she managed to perfectly portray her role as a Russian spy - easily edging out, yes, Jason Bourne.

Sure, the plot was preposterous, somewhat absurd and unbelievable - and I bet the filmmakers were well aware of it - but it was, undeniably, an extremely well made action flick. I thought that the cinematography was decent and direction was nicely done. The action sequences were very well shot and the fight choreography was amazing. Moreover, the pacing of the film was unusually good.

One minor quibble though about the film was that the flashbacks were particularly annoying. Obviously, these flashbacks were meant to give Evelyn Salt emotional depth, but in actuality they seemed terribly contrived. I don't know. Maybe that's just me. Haha.

Overall, there was nothing groundbreaking, but it was still a kick-ass movie! Yes, the story was so much like the Bourne trilogy.. the only difference is that I'm not into Matt Damon. Haha. The overall impression is simple: a strong recommendation!

RATING: 8/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...