Monday, July 19, 2010

Movie Review: The Sorcerer's Apprentice

Well, this movie, to me, was simple but effective with room for awkward yet entertaining humor. Ha! Seriously. Anyone who has seen the trailer of the movie will know what to expect - a pretty straightforward plot, tons of action and yes, amazing special effects.

Now, with that as my main expectation, I was surprised with how entertaining the film actually was! Sure, it was still a tad cheesy and cliched, but I somehow didn't mind because I really found the flick fairly enjoyable.

The plot wasn't amazing, nothing too original and a bit thin here and there, but it was a good 'magical experience'. I thought that the story was easy to follow, though a little darker than the usual Disney produced film.

Acting-wise, I thought Nicholas Cage stole the show. I don't normally like him, but he was great in Kick-Ass, and I found his portrayal of his role very mysterious yet comical. He didn't seem to know when to be serious or to ham it up, but it surprisingly worked for his unorthodox sorcerer role. Haha.

Jay Baruchel, on the other hand, was decent as the lead but he was obviously having trouble working with the material, especially in scenes with Nicholas Cage. Somehow, I could tell that both actors lacked the chemistry needed for these roles. However, what he lacked in his near leading man status, he succeeded greatly in comic timing and laughs.

Of course, technically, the movie was on point. The special effects were good and the fight scenes were decently choreographed. I could have done without the occasional background songs which seemed designed to emphasize romantic angst or appeal to young teenagers, but that was bearable. Haha.

Overall, the film was not quite as fun or good as it could have been, but it made for a fairly enjoyable throwaway. As I've said, it was nothing special, but it, arguably, delivered an entertaining film.

RATING: 7/10

4 comments:

angelina said...

nice movies

TDB said...

solid 7/10 for a nicholas cage film. hmmm... i hope i could watch this too.

DAM THE NATION said...

Angelina: thanks.

DAM THE NATION said...

TBD: Yes, to me, it's a solid film. Not the best but good enough. :D

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...