Sunday, August 29, 2010

Idol 48 - Lisa Tucker

48. Lisa Tucker
Season 5, 10th Place

When I first saw Lisa, after her audition, I was just so positive that she was going to be at least in the Top 5 of the competition that season. I thought her rendition of One Moment In Time, though overrated, was actually good. I like the control and her tone was lovely.

Now, I do like her and I was really glad that she made the Top 12. She really is a good singer and going into the Top 24 she was in my Top 5 favorites. Unfortunately, I think she was another very ambitious contestant when it came to song choices that somehow ruined her chances in the competition.

To be fair, she started off the semifinals round with I Am Changing, an extremely big soul song and though I personally wouldn't consider her to be a soul singer at all, I thought she did amazing with the song. Again, she showcased her impeccable vocal control here. The next week, she performed the Jackson 5's Who's Loving You, which was also pretty good.

But somehow, that was also the week I realized that yes, she is a very good young singer but she was also extremely "stage school". Every note of every song seemed so rehearsed and planned out, which is not a quality I like in a singer. I like it when someone can get up and just sang. I just didn't quite get that from her. She can sing, but it's too staged.

Now, I'm actually listening to some of Lisa's performances right now, and she really does have some great techniques that she can use beautifully. I love when she uses dynamics in her songs, because her soft tone is beautiful and her powerful tones are great as well, but they sound really nice when she transitions between them.

Oh, and she has a great vibrato as well. I guess she could've been higher on my list if she had just chosen better songs for her voice because she is easily one of the most talented teenagers to be on the show. But I do think that with her style of singing she is probably best suited for Broadway - or R&B.

Let's see. I learned that she's signed with Ne-Yo's production company.

Favorite performance(s): Her audition was quite nice, especially the first half of the song. That rooms acoustics really did it for her. My favorite of her live performances would to be I Am Changing. Her version of Kelly Clarkson's Because Of You was one of my guilty pleasures that season. Ha!

Audition


I Am Changing


Because Of You


#47 - Dawg!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...