Saturday, August 7, 2010

Idol 66 - LaToya London

66. LaToya London
Season 3, 4th Place

I admit, LaToya London was pure class. However, I was somehow unable to connect with her during her Idol stint.

Now, LaToya had pretty much zero airtime prior to the Group 3 performances - she was invisible. Then, she came out of nowhere, instantly became a frontrunner and pretty much owned everyone on planet Earth that night. Haha. She proved that she was, indeed, a a brilliant vocalist.

After that, pretty much every week she delivered solid performances that sort of became, ironically, her problem. She became a bit boring and it didn't take long for her to find a formula, and play it safe. She was singing big broadway diva song week after week, for crying out loud. So, while I thought her performances was good, I found most of her song choices uninteresting, with pretty much no emotion in her singing and it certainly didn't help that she, as a person, was quite bland too.

I think she was too poised as well. Not that I had problems with that but it certainly made her seem quite old. When she wasn't singing, she'd just stand there with a slight smile, hands behind her back, perfect posture. She definitely had maturity beyond her years - you can look at it however you want to. Ha!

That being said, I thought LaToya definitely was someone who deserved to go far. Heck, I expected to see her in the Top 2 of that season. Unfortunately, the elimination order for Season 3 was pretty screwed up.  First, Jennifer Hudson, then George Huff, then her. That, to me, was a rough four weeks - minus John Stevens' elimination of course.

Favorite performance(s): I'd say LaToya had about five really good performances on Idol. Clearly, she started out her run on Idol with a bang when she sang All By Myself. Of course, it wasn't as great as Celine Dion's version but it was pretty good nonetheless. Her performances of Somwehere and Don't Rain on My Parade were nothing short of brilliant as well.

All By Myself


Somewhere


Don't Rain On My Parade


#65 - A Song For You and Superstition

4 comments:

gddepadua said...

i wasn't surprise when she was eliminated. she somhow lack the charisma jasmine had.

DAM THE NATION said...

Gerard: I somehow expected her to leave that week but Jasmine would've been remembered well if she left that week. Haha.

gddepadua said...

haha. I think the producers are somehow pulling some strings in retaining jasmine and letting latoya go since the season is not at all exciting in general (after Jen hudson left) so a "surprise elimination" was a good trick.

DAM THE NATION said...

Gerard: Maybe. But it was sad that Jasmine had to be their "toy" to have an exciting season. Oh well.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...