Saturday, September 25, 2010

Idol 23 - Michael Johns

23. Michael Johns
Season 7, 8th Place

Yes, it's the Aussie man's turn.

If I remember correctly, during the auditions of Season 7, I was quite blown away by the San Diego auditions. It seemed that the show decided to focus more on the talented, than the horrible singers, which was a welcome change for me. Not only that, but the 6 people that got golden tickets that episode were all great.

Well, Michael Johns, was one of them. I really loved his audition. Before the season even started I remember saying that I wanted a soulful rocker that year, and Michael definitely seemed to be my answer for that.

Unfortunately, Michael never quite lived up to his audition for me. I thought he was very good, and quite consistent, but early in the competition I was never quite blown away. I hated how right Simon was about him. He definitely wasn't living up to his potential. I have no idea why he didn't sing more soulful songs.

Luckily, he really stepped it up around Top 10 week and showed why he was still around. And then he got eliminated during the Top 8 week and I was quite devastated when he left. To be honest, I had been preparing myself for either Carly Smithson or Syesha Mercado to leave that week even though I was aware that the mediocrity that was Kristy Lee Cook was still in the competition.

Truth be told, I never even expected Michael to be in any real danger that night. Sure, his Dream On wasn't perfect but he had some pretty good performances compare to, yes, Kristy Lee. That said, when they were the bottom three - Carly, Syesha and Michael - I was glad it was him. Yes, it was extremely bittersweet because two of my bigger favorites were spared but Michael got eliminated instead of you-know-who. Haha.

Now, I know I have said that Michael disappointed me, but I really thought he was good every week. He was probably the weakest when he sang Go Your Own Way, but I actually thought that that performance was a bit better than the weakest performance from most of the other Top 12.

Oh, and there were a few very good performances that were severely underrated. I actually enjoyed Across The Universe and A Day in the Life. So, while I don't think those performances were anywhere near the level of greatness that he was capable of, they didn't get nearly enough credit.

As for his post-Idol materials, I think it was ok, though a bit old school. I would've preferred some contemporary tunes coming out of his album but his single, Heart On My Sleeves, was the only track that I thought was worthy of being played on the radio. I'm still hoping he'll come up with some new materials soon.

Favorite performance(s): Like I said, I loved Michael's audition. Terrific tone! If he had stuck to singing more like this, then he could have definitely been my favorite of the season. He was just so soulful. I was also thrilled when Michael sang It's All Wrong, But It's Alright. I mean, that was the type of song that I'd been wanting him to sing the entire competition. Definitely one of my favorite performances that season. Of course, he also sounded great with We Will Rock You/We Are the Champions. He clearly loves Queen and he absolutely did them justice.

Check this out!  
Life Is Okay - Michael Johns with Brooke White


Audition


It's All Wrong, But It's Alright


We Will Rock You/We Are The Champions


#22 - Paint Salesman

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...