Saturday, September 18, 2010

Idol 30 - Chris Daughtry

30. Chris Daughtry
Season 5, 4th Place

If anyone remembers my Taylor Hicks review, I talked about out love/hate relationship. Well, I had the same relationship with Chris during Season 5. I considered him a good singer, but I definitely trashed the guy at every chance. Now let me explain..

From the very start of Season 5 my top three contestants were Paris Bennett, Elliott Yamin and Katharine McPhee. Chris and Taylor were the ugly step-brothers who I also liked - just not as much. But throughout the season, all I heard was the hype about Chris and Taylor, and a Finale with Daughtry-Hicks seemed inevitable. Yes, I definitely recognized that they were talented, but neither of them were God's gift to the earth and I hated all of the pimping.

There were definitely a few things that bothered me about Chris' voice. First, he was another one with a speedy vibrato that got irritating and I hated the way he looked when he sang. I mean, he'd lean back and just stare kind of angrily at the camera. Simon kept telling him that he lacked charisma in the beginning of the season, and it was definitely true. These issues were only amplified due to his front runner status, though.

Now, this is going to sound bad, but one of my favorite moments in Idol history was the results show for the Top 4 when Chris was eliminated. At that time I was so sure Elliott Yamin and Katharine McPhee were going to be 3rd and 4th, and I desperately wanted someone to break up the predictable Finale.

Well, I jumped up and down with excitement when Chris was sent packing! Really. I was just happy that one of my main favorites would be in the Top 2. Ok. Well, I just wish it would've been Taylor to leave instead of Chris but beggars can't be choosers, though, right?

But there is no denying the fact that Chris is extremely talented, and was well deserving of the win. He's a very well-rounded artist, with a killer studio voice, and he probably should've won Season 5 - as much as I hate to admit it. I mean, his album sales numbers speak for themself. I've really enjoyed Chris' post Idol materials. Yes, I don't own his album, but I've heard it a few times and they were all pretty good.

Favorite performance(s): I always loved Bryan Adams' Have You Ever Really Loved a Woman, and I was happy when Chris re-introduced me to the song on Idol. The song was light enough to appeal to me, yet it had enough edge to stay in his style. It was definitely my favorite moment from Chris. I think I must've preferred the more subdued Chris, because another favorite of mine is What a Wonderful World. I think that was the first time that he really broke from his comfort zone to try something and it worked out great. Hemorrhage was also really good!

Have You Ever Really Loved


What A Wonderful World


Hemorrhage


#29 - The Scientist!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Actually I've been to a concert of both Taylor and Chris. Yes, Chris is another good hard rocker, but Taylor is the Singer/Entertainer/Performer with heart and soul who is kind to his fans. His sales of cd's may not be as high, but he hasn't had the level of "pushing and pimping" of TPTB and Taylor has done it all on his own. Taylor was NOT who AI wanted to win, they wanted Chris so they could get their hands on the money. I also really liked Elliot myself ;)

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: I have to agree. Well, Chris is different from Taylor but they are both good/talented singers/performers.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...