Wednesday, September 15, 2010

Idol 33 - Megan Joy

33. Megan Joy
Season 8, 9th Place

Yes, it's Caw! Caw! herself! Haha. 

In theory, I love Megan. The tone of her voice was undeniably groovy. But in practice, she rarely got it right. I mean, she overestimated what she can do with her instrument to a point where she belted her big notes in some of her performances like she was Melinda Doolittle, and then veered into the uncharted - and unpleasant - areas of pitch. To me, song selection did her in.

But as I've said, I love the quirky Megan. Up until now, I still remember her audition and it was probably one of the most memorable of Season 8. Heck, one cannot deny that her scrunchy little voice was unique, interesting, and, yes, memorable. In fact, I can close my eyes right now and hear it in my head.

Now, coming into the semifinals, I knew she had a really good shot of making it to the Final 12. Her first live performance was surprisingly good. She picked a song perfectly suited to her sultry and scratchy instrument, Put Your Records On. And while her performance that night wasn't without its flaws, I didn't have any trouble remembering the sound of Megan's voice. But Group 2 was pretty tough that even her solid effort didn't hep her sneak her way to the Top 12.

Good thing, she was picked by the judges as a Wild Card finalist and decided to perform a quirky song - Black Horse and the Cherry Tree - for her already quirky personality. Ha! Now, technically, the vocals weren't pitch perfect but this was the time where I felt that her likability can do wonders for her. I mean, as Simon said, it wasn't the best vocal we're ever going to hear but something about her performance made me care less about the technicality of it all. I don't know.

And then, Rockin' Robin happened and I instantly became a fan! Haha. I don’t care about Simon but I loved it. It was hilariously adorable. Sure, she needed to work on nailing the notes with more conviction but, seriously, the - now infamous - Caw! Caw! was such a delight to see and hear on that Idol stage. The next week, she again impressed me with her interesting phrasing of the song Walking After Midnight. Aside from the fact that she was absolutely beautiful that night, I actually dug her approach to that old ditty.

Sadly, after that week, everything just went downhill. Her performances became really weird for my taste. Yes, she still had that quirkiness in her performances but it became more of a novelty that moment and it didn't feel as genuine as the first time I saw the shtick. For Once In My Life and Turn The Lights Down Low were both disappointing performances from her and the latter being her last on the show.

Fortunately - or unfortunately - her exit was probably as memorable as her audition. Haha. Sure, she seemed stoned that night but I kind of enjoyed the crazy! I mean, she seemed pretty harmless to me and the caw and her reaction before Ryan announced that she was going home was an American Idol CLASSIC!! Seriously. Oh, and her swan song was the best F*ck You in Idol history! Heck, she even sang right in front of the judges! Haha. Silly Megan.

Anyway, I just have to say that her post-Idol originals are amazing!!! Seriously.

Favorite Performance(s): No denying that Rockin' Robin is and will always be my favorite Megan performance. Haha. It was nothing short of EPIC - whatever way you want to look at it. Haha. Watch it! Please.

Check this out!
Sweet Love - Megan Joy



Rockin' Robin


Why We Love Megan Joy (Hilarious!)


#32 - Afro!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...