Saturday, September 4, 2010

Idol 42 - Tamyra Gray

42. Tamyra Gray
Season 1, Fourth Place

Before you bite my head off for ranking Tamyra this low, let me explain. Well, I like the 41 people ahead of her. Haha. That's it.

But frankly, I'd say Tamyra and Kelly Clarkson were quite neck and neck as far as talent goes. Tamyra, like Kelly, has a great voice, but on the show it did seem like a very good karaoke to me. It was clear, however, that Tamyra was very seasoned and natural on the stage and that was probably a big part of the reason why she was such a big front runner in the beginning.

However, I think Tamyra lacked a bit in the personality department - especially compared to that goof ball that was Kelly Clarkson. I mean, personality goes such a long way in determining how well you do, so it really was inevitable that Kelly would become the main front runner in the end. She was just easier to connect to.

But like I've said, personality doesn't matter to me - except for the douche that was Danny Gokey - so I loved Tamyra. I really forget what an amazing singer she was until I watch back some of her live performances. Now, I have seen quite a few people say that she is the best "diva" ever to be on the show, which kind of baffles me. I love my divas, but there are a couple in particular that really stand out to me as the best - not necessarily my two favorites, though. Nonetheless, Tamyra is up there for me.

It is kind of disappointing though that Tamyra didn't have the success she deserved to have, but not much of a surprise. I remember watching her guest appearances on Season 3 and thinking she sounded great and her song Raindrops Will Fall was really good. If only her label had really invested the time to give her a current and natural sounding hit album, then she could've been right up there with Kelly.

Also, the fact that it took her nearly two years to release something really hindered her. And I have no doubt that as a result of Tamyra's "flop" album, contestants like LaToya London, Vonzell Solomon and Syesha Mercado suffered. I cannot see 19 management taking a chance on another Tamyra-esque diva ever again. That is, of course, unless she wins or places second.

Favorite performance(s): I remember hearing about Tamyra's A House is Not a Home for quite some time before I watched Season 1, and I absolutely understand why. This was just a brilliant vocal display. I really love her tone when she holds out the word love at the very end. Beautiful! I'd say If I Were Your Woman was another clear stand out for her. She did a great job of slowly building up the song from a soft beginning to a killer ending. Loved it.

A House is Not a Home


If I Were Your Woman


#41 - Leona Lewis 2.0

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...