Tuesday, October 26, 2010

Idol 12 - Allison Iraheta

12. Allison Iraheta
Season 8, 4th Place

Oh, Allison.. you, obviously, made it farther, and more fabulously, than I ever thought the show would let you. And yes, I had to take comfort in that because up until this moment, I still can't believe that Danny Gokey's primal scream during his dreadful performance of Dream On really got him more votes than this talented young girl.

Seriously. Just like Syesha Mercado, Allison Iraheta was, arguably, one underrated Idol finalist. Truth be told, she never won Simon Cowell's wholehearted approval and she never got a ''you could make it to the Finale'' critique from any of the judges no matter how fantastic her performances were. It came to a point where I was already tired of her NEVER getting enough credit, while if your name was Adam Lambert or Danny Gokey, you can do no wrong. It was so messed up.

Yes, I never really considered Allison a real contender when the Top 36 was announced. I mean, when the Group 2 finalists were revealed, I absolutely written her off the competition because she seemed to be one of those usual cannon fodders. I also find Group 2 extremely talented that I don't think Allison can pull an upset on any of the front runners that time, namely Megan Joy, Adam Lambert, Matt Giraud and yes, even Jasmine Murray - all of which had ample screentime prior to their first live performances.

But I have to say, she pulled out all the stops during the semifinals rounds. I did think her performance of Alone was a bit overrated, but I have to say that it was one of the better vocals that week. However, if I'm being honest, I was - shoot me! - disappointed when she got a spot in the Finals instead of Megan Joy or Mishavonna Henson because she, to me, appeared to be a one trick pony a la Ramiele Malubay.

Good thing, she proved me wrong when the Top 13 started. Yes, she still struggled a little bit during the first two weeks, but when she belted out Papa Was A Rolling Stone during Motown, I instantly boarded the Allison bandwagon and she suddenly became an obvious threat to the pimpage trifecta - Adam Lambert, Danny Gokey and Lil Rounds. Gorgeous tone, amazing range and her phrasing is probably one of the best of any Idol contestants - her vocal styling actually reminds me so much Pink.

Allison Iraheta became unstoppable, delivering one great performance after the other. I actually think that aside from her decent performance of I Don't Want To Miss A Thing, everything else she performed after Top 10 were all amazing. I still shake my head out of disbelief with the way I prematurely considered Allison as nothing more than a fodder at the beginning. I mean, people had no idea who this girl was and no one would have ever predicted such success she had in the competition. Her reaching the Final 4 was indeed a pleasant surprise.

Now, while I did like the Allison Iraheta during Season 8, her post-Idol album, Just Like You, made me appreciate her even more. I think she's got one of the better Idol debut albums. Sure, it wasn't quite Kelly Clarkson or David Cook or Kris Allen, but it's packed with quality songs. Oh, and when she visited the country a few months ago, I didn't hesitate to see her perform live and, needless to say, I was floored. I'll just say it: She was UNBELIEVABLE. Enough said.

Album Review: Just Like You

Favorite Performance(s): Hands down, her performance of Cry Baby after she got eliminated was probably one of the best swan songs EVER on the show. With tears streaming, she looked at the judges dead in the eye and wailed “CRYYYY BABAAAYY!!” with power and conviction. I also loved Papa Was A Rolling Stone, her impressive Slow Ride duet with Adam Lambert, the riveting Alone and the totally unexpected Someone To Watch Over Me. Her rendition of Hot Stuff was also really good.

Cry Baby


Papa Was A Rolling Stone


Slow Ride


Alone


Someone To Watch Over Me


Hot Stuff


#11 - Country

2 comments:

Robbie said...

Allison is <3

Nakakainis because my dream Top 3 would've been Kradison. And if that happened, I would've been happy if either of the 3 won.

Every time I see Gokey's face, it makes me want to kick puppies.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: I agree. A Kradison Final 3 would've been one of the stronger EVER. Ugh.

LOL at Gokey and kicking puppies. :))

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...