Monday, October 18, 2010

Idol 20 - Nikko Smith

20. Nikko Smith
Season 4, 9th Place

.. and yes, the countdown is back with Nikko Smith. Wow! We're almost at the homestretch!!

Truth be told, I was an instant Nikko fan during Season 4. From his audition alone, I could tell that he was an artist that would excite me. His voice was very smooth, controlled, and he had such a current vibe to him. So, I was extremely happy when he got into the semifinals.

Now, the semifinals were extremely strong for Season 4 - I'd say, especially the guys - and Nikko was a huge part of that reason. Yes, I might go as far as to say that Nikko - taking into consideration all three performances - was the strongest of the guys in the semifinals - even stronger than Anwar Robinson. He, to me, managed to get better and better each week. Georgia On My Mind was nothing short of amazing, and it was beyond ridiculous that he got voted out after that performance. Personally, that would probably rank in my Top 5 swan song performances - well, if it weren't for the fact that he was blessed with a second chance.

Speaking of second chances, Nikko Smith as a replacement was absolutely bittersweet for me. When Mario Vasquez left the competition, I considered him one of my top favorites of that season. But Nikko was also one of my favorites, so I was thrilled to have him back in the competition. But, seriously, why couldn't it have been someone like Anthony Federov or Constantine Maroulis that dropped out? Haha.

Anyways, I knew Nikko's fate the moment he came back. I figured that he'd be safe for the first few weeks of the Finals - due to worried fans and probably the hype that came with it - and then he'd leave the competition within three or four weeks, which actually happened. Sure, I don't think Nikko was as strong in the Finals as he was during the Semis, but he was unquestionably one of the best. Oh well, I really think African American men are doomed on American Idol, which is quite sad.

Frankly, there have been a lot of black men on Idol, but Nikko definitely stood out from the rest. I mean, typically, they tend to give off a Luther Vandross vibe, but not Nikko. He had this very hip and modern style to him that would work for the music scene today - the way he sang, the clothes he wore, everything. His Urban vibe was very marketable - much more than people like Ruben Studdard, George Huff or even Michael Lynche - so I think it's a shame that he didn't get picked up by a major record label. Seriously. He might have been quite successful.

Favorite performance(s): It's a shame that Anwar had to come out and sing What a Wonderful World on Top 16 night, because otherwise that night would've been remembered for Georgia on my Mind. It wasn't a perfect vocal, but his voice sounded pretty darn amazing. I loved all of his phrasing choices and the big notes were impeccable. The previous week, he was the best of the night with Let's Get it On and even Part Time Lover. Incomplete was another performance that I loved. To be honest, this is where he definitely proved to America that he could absolutely be a modern day chart topping RnB singer ala Ne-Yo or Chris Brown.

Georgia On My Mind


Incomplete


Let's Get It On


Part Time Lover


#19 - I didn't know a cat was singing it.

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...