Wednesday, November 10, 2010

Glee Season 2: Never Been Kissed Episode Review

Never Been Kissed
Season 2, Episode 6

Okay. I'm not really sure how I feel about this episode, honestly.

While there was a good story, the whole episode felt light weight to me. I don't know. If there were truly laugh out lines worth repeating, I must have missed them because the humor here was lacking - at least to me. And while I loved the way both the boys and girls dressed in their respective numbers, I didn't get the same Glee-ful feeling I had when I watched the first mash-ups in Season 1.

Don't get me wrong, all the songs sounded wonderful, the performances were good, and there was just the right amount of musical numbers, which opened the door for more story. But, somehow the whole thing just screamed 'average' to me. I don't know.

THE GOOD:

- BLAINE! I honestly think that he's a great addition to the cast. Seriously. He did a great job, and I think I'm really going to like his character!

- To see Puck that vulnerable - admitting he's scared - was satisfying, in a good way of course. It's kind of nice that they also paired him up with Artie because they both learned from each other.

- Coach Beiste's storyline was interesting. I thought it was exceptionally rude or sad what the Glee guys did, but I'm glad they shed light on the fact that they respect and admire Coach Beiste, and that they didn't mean any harm. Ugh! I just want to hug this woman all the time.

- Even though it revolved around Beiste, the romance between the Glee kids was nice to see. I don't know. Sam and Quinn look good together, and Sam is hilarious even if unintentionally. Ha!

- Karofsky's character shocked me in more levels than one. Really. I didn't see this one coming. On paper, I thought it's a bit cliche and I didn't think they'd do it. But, it's an interesting concept to explore with the character. His acting was superb and I appreciated that he kept up the pretense even after the kiss.

- I didn't want to punch Will! Yay!

- Rachel, in her shrieking voice, "SPIES!" Haha. This one was hilarious!

THE BAD:

- The Beiste-Schuester kiss was absolutely awkward and definitely the most WTF moment of the season - so far. Come on, what's the point of that? The talk was really touching and it made sense, but when Will kissed her, it didn't feel right to me.

- No good Sue or Brittany lines. It's disappointing.

- It felt to me that Quinn was back to being the shallow, bitchy cheerleader she grew out of last season, and that kind of bothered me. Her character arc was one of my favorite parts of the first season, and I want to think that it hasn't been undone.

- I admit, I miss Mercedes. And Rachel. And yeah, Finn.

THE MUSIC:

ONE LOVE was ok. It was nice to see both Artie and Puck rocking out with the other students though, even if it was fear inflicted. The performance, for me, slightly enhanced my enjoyment of the song, although I have to admit that this was my least favorite musical number in this episode.

TEENAGE DREAM. This, on the other hand, was possibly my favorite number. I've gushed enough about this song since the preview came out a few days ago. But crap! The fact that it was a capella really made me happy since that's very glee club. I think the show should do more of it. It sounds just spectacular, and I freaking love Blaine's character. Like, seriously. Haha. He's just freakin' adorable.

START ME UP/LIVIN' ON A PRAYER. Fierce, I tell you! The girls killed it. Personally, this is the hottest thing they've done so far. All of the girls were hot, but Rachel was on fire. Ha! It was sexy and sassy and fearless. Rachel and Mercedes rocked this one out, and I love that they paired off at the end with both Rachel and Mercedes in the middle. The look on the guys' faces was great too.

STOP! IN THE NAME OF LOVE / FREE YOUR MIND was a good mash-up. I'm not sure though if this was better than the first guys mash-up in Season 1, performance-wise. That said, the boys were adorable in their suits, and I loved their interaction with the girls. Oh, and the choreography was great.

Download music HERE.
Download episode HERE.
Watch the preview for next episode HERE.

6 comments:

Denman said...

Well, I'm glad you didn't put a rating here just like in your movie reviews. But it seems like you enjoyed this episode din naman. You got 4 items on THE BAD and 7 on THE GOOD naman eh :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Den: That maybe true but I thinkg that 4 BAD items outweigh the 7 GOOD ones. Haha. Kidding. I enjoyed it for what it was. I just didn't think it was the strongest for Season 2, at least.

Denman said...

Ayan! I'm liking what you said now that it's not a bad episode, that it's just not their strongest. ;)

DAM THE NATION said...

Den: Haha. The episode was ok. Let's leave it at that. :P

Anonymous said...

i was so shocked seeing the peptalk between shue and beiste! i was the whole time shouting: 'don't even think about it! 'don't even think about it!' and when they eventually kissed i was like: 'WWHAATTHEEFACK?!!'

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: I know what you're saying. That was possibly one of the disturbingly shocking scenes on Glee. Haha.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...