Wednesday, December 1, 2010

Glee Season 2: Special Education Episode Review

Special Education
Season 2, Episode 9

This, to me, was a very interesting episode, but all in all an upgrade from some of the episodes this season. The character balance was a refreshing return, and several stories started coming to a head that needed to. Of course, there were other parts that still need tweaking.

But overall, this was a decent episode full of drama, good music and some comedy, which was, yes, a good mix for the show but something was definitely missing and I can't put my finger on it. But, whatever. Ha!

THE GOOD: 

- I honestly liked that the episode started with the Finn-Santana-Rachel drama. Somehow, it fed in to the issues within New Directions.

- There was such joy in this episode - despite some of the not-so-happy plot twists, if you will - that I think some of the other episodes have been missing. I personally like when it really focuses back on the kids, and while I do like the occasional guest star every now and then, the best episodes are always the ones that focus primarily on the Glee club itself.

- Santana killed every scene she was in tonight. While the way Finn's lie came out to Rachel was unexpected, it was entirely in character in my opinion. Her later trolling of Rachel, again, was cruel but we've learned by now that Santana's a cruel character, and I love it. Haha.

- Now, as far as the actual Sectionals performance went, New Directions owned it! Seriously. I already addressed Valerie's pure, sheer, unadulterated awesomeness in some of my previous posts, but Time Of My Life was surprisingly good as well after all.

- The angst in this episode was good. I mean, it was a nice change from all the tired 'Kurt's gay' storylines of the past several episodes. Don't get me wrong, I like Kurt's character but it's becoming more of an overkill to me. Kurt wasn't overused this week, and the scenes he was in were actually pretty good. Don't Cry for Me Argentina was fantastic, from both characters - but I'll get into that later.

- Brittany’s adultery thing cracked me up! Haha. She had her moments in this episode.

- The Rachel/Kurt friendship was adorable. I loved it, more so than when they were bitching at each other over solos. This was really refreshing to see. Actually, I love Rachel in this episode. I'm glad they brought back the true Rachel we all know and love.

- The Hipsters were hilarious! I loved how they had trouble moving across the stage. I know, I'm petty.

THE BAD: 

- A tie? Seriously? New Directions most definitely deserved to win that because Dalton's performance was mediocre at best, vocally and routine wise. Beyond that, has anyone heard of two winners being chosen in a one-winner competition? The ball was dropped there. For me, it was clear that the writers felt that they can't continue Kurt's character without him moving on - which, again, baffles me - hence that kind of result. But really, I felt the tie was completely unnecessary. After the Warblers' somewhat lackluster performance, I'm scratching my head.

- Lauren can go now. Like, now. Haha. I just do not like her. The fact that she was singing and dancing in Dog Days Are Over made me ill. You're not a part of this group! Sorry.

- I'm not sure I understand what happened at the end of the episode. I mean, Rachel did tell Finn the truth and that she didn't go through with it. So, while Finn should be pissed because of the history with Puck and Quinn, I don't know if it's really that bad - bad enough to break up. Finn's a wuss. Sure, he didn’t cheat on her, but lying about being a virgin and leaving her in the dark when everyone else knew about it is a pretty big lie.

- I have to admit, Rachel being on the back burner all season long has made, for me, the light dim on this once beloved show. At first, I got tired of her but I actually miss her now. I think the writers didn't handled her character quite well and it's terribly sad. Rachel has no friends. Santana saying that no one likes her was true and cruel but the girl has made strides. Before, she left the club completely. This time, she stuck it out and was in the background. That's progress. But no one reaches out to her. If the writers don't shed light on that anytime soon, I'm going to flip out.

- I'm sorry but I really didn't care much for the Emma-Will drama. But that's just me.

THE MUSIC:

DON'T CRY FOR ME ARGENTINA was beautiful. It wasn't the division I expected lyrically, but it was absolutely exquisite. I liked that Rachel had her true Evita moment on that balcony. Haha. To me, this scene did a great job of showing just how different these two are. They're talented, they think highly of their talents, and they don't apologize for it. They see each other as the only real competition, and I actually think that's a fair assessment.

THE LIVING YEARS was unintentionally funny. Ok. I apologize now but the performance was ridiculous. I don't believe that any senior citizens were singing, and the whole thing was plain absurd. As I've said, I loved how they had trouble moving across the stage though. Haha.

HEY, SOUL SISTER. Cute performance. They sounded great but it wasn't as mind-blowing or charming as Teenage Dream. How I wish they used that instead of this during Sectionals. I think the best part of this sequence was the support New Directions gave Kurt, especially from Rachel. The "smile" moment warmed my heart.

(I'VE HAD) THE TIME OF MY LIFE. Besides the fact that they now seriously need to come up with a different way for everyone to enter, I liked the performance. Quinn and Sam have great chemistry together, and they did a great job. The dancing was fantastic as well, which was a nice change of pace. I knew the actual performance would be better than the audio alone.

VALERIE. Fan-freakin-tastic! I think Santana, Brittany and Mike killed it. Oh, and the background dancing was excellent too. Again, it was a pure, sheer, unadulterated awesomeness from New Directions. Great energy and this performance alone made them more than deserving to win Sectionals outright. Enough said.

DOG DAYS ARE OVER was also great. The song totally works for these guys. The little montage with this number was great because I got to see happy Kurt, I felt  sad for Rachel at her locker, and it was a great ending to the episode. I loved the group hug as well. Everything was genuine. Plus, Tina and Mercedes in a duet was refreshing.


Download music HERE.
Download episode HERE.
Watch the preview for next episode HERE.

19 comments:

katuray said...

great review! exactly the same thoughts that i have for this episode.

i just want to add that i don't like the fact that azimio's back. i mean, i totally "dig" karofsky as a bully, but azimio's character really doesn't work for me.

santana's take on valerie is absolutely fantastic! love her!

can't wait for next week's christmas episode!

guygonegeek said...

Just finished watching it. You didn't want to punch Will's face this episode? Even in his douchebag face when the Warblers were performing? Seriously???

The tie-result was so predictable. I saw it coming a mile away, really. Yeah, the fat girl is annoying and she's not funny.

Funny, you got probably the most unflattering screencap for Darren. I enjoyed Dalton's number was fun to watch. Blaine was so animated(That "You're so ganstah, I'm so thug" face - priceless) I couldn't help but smile the entire performance. Same goes for Dog Days. :)

Looking forward to the christmas episode. I wonder who that Santa-(na?) is. lol

Pao said...

And why again is that Valerie number so hot? and cool? and awesome? and amazing? and jaw-dropping? GAH. It made me dance.

Robbie said...

I think I dont like how this episode was directed. There were no epic shots/angles during their performance.

Dog Days Are Over. Didn't enjoy it as much as I thought it would. Parang they tried to make it feel like a Florence and the Machine vibe. The result was magulo. They were everywhere. And I get the point na parang raw and free yung vibe but somehow it didn't work for me.

Anonymous said...

"THE LIVING YEARS was unintentionally funny"

I think that was intentional dear ;P

wixtop20 said...

i really liked the episode!! I ve watched the sectional 3 times. Rachel and Mercedes were being left behind on there.. If will wanted to make everyone's talent shown, was not a right choice. I think the dog times are over should ve been sang in sectionals. And Finally SANTANA ROCKED!!!!!!!!!!!!!! so why dont u come on over Valerie!!

DAM THE NATION said...

Katuray: I agree. Azimio just screams "trying hard" to me.

And yes, Santana is love!

DAM THE NATION said...

GuyGoneGeek: I still want to punch Will in the face but it's just a waste of space in my review. Haha. But yeah, I officially hate Will Schuester's character.

I think Santa is Sue Sylvester.

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: Yes. Valerie was EPIC!!! New Directions should've won based solely on their Valerie performance. Haha.

DAM THE NATION said...

Pao: I know right! Haha.

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: You're right. The direction was underwhelming compared to the previous "competition" episodes. I didn't notice that until you mentioned it.

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: I think otherwise actually. It seemed unintentional to me. :)

DAM THE NATION said...

WixTop20: I agree. DDAO should've been part of their Sectional setlist instead of TOML. Although Quinn and Sam's performance was cute. :)

Anonymous said...

It was old people singing about being old...Ryan Murphy has a sense of humour :P

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: You may be right. But, it would've been more funny if they performed something Bieber. Haha. Of course, I'm kidding.

EricaOrange said...

Astig talaga yung Valerie, ang galing-galing!! *clap clap clap* And I agree, super WTH yung pagiging tie nila :| super hindi match na super nakakawindang na hindi nagawa "magdecide ng judges" kung sino ang winner lang dapat :( Super kinikilig ako sa (I've had the) Time of My Life ni Quinn at Sam :3 ang cute-cute nila! And I agree, the smile thing that Rachel did was really nice :) Hilarious yung adultery thing ni Brittany :)) Adik much!

DAM THE NATION said...

Erica: I agree with everything you said here!!! :) I didn't know you're a Gleek too. That's good to know. :D

Vincent said...

Ok, so I know it's a bit late for me to react but everything kinda didn't really move me the way the last episodes of season 2 did, or sectionals season 1 for that matter. I watch Glee coz it can make me cry, laugh so hard and feel like I've went through what the characters are going through, like insane ayt? I like this episode...it just didn't touch me where I was hoping it would...:P

DAM THE NATION said...

Vincent: Yeah. I know what you're saying and somehow I agree with you. It wasn't as powerful as the other episodes.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...