Monday, January 24, 2011

Movie Review: Tangled

After all the hype surrounding this film late last year, I was a bit worried that it might not meet my expectations. Admittedly though, I didn't know what to expect. I mean, it's Disney - which was somewhat comforting - but  it's also their first animated movie - outside Pixar - that got a Parental Guidance rating, so Tangled actually seemed different. Well, good thing, the film didn't disappoint one bit and I was actually pretty impressed.

Let me start with the obvious: visually, the film was outstanding! The animation style was vibrant, the backdrops were exquisitely rendered and the characters had excellent detail with an impeccable fluidity in their movements.

The music, I thought, was also quite exceptional. It had enough musical numbers to keep Disney fans more than satisfied and not enough where it's already an overkill. Frankly, I didn't realize that this was a musical until the first song and it was a pleasant surprise. Ha! The songs were meaningful and heartfelt that all served a purpose.

Now, as for the voice casting, I thought they all did wonderful. True, I was a little iffy about Mandy Moore as the lead voice but she was perfect for the role. I thought she gave life and the right amount of innocence and edge to the character. Zachary Levi's voice acting was also pretty charming. I have to mention though two characters who added humor to the film - Pascal (chameleon) and Maximus (horse). Sure, they had no speaking lines, I knew exactly what they wanted to say and their clever expressions came in loud and clear.

In terms of story, it was pretty straightforward but equally compelling - maybe because of the wild spin they put into this old fairytale. The humor was spot on and the pacing was superb. Oh, and there were a couple of scenes that almost made me cry and some that actually gave me goosebumps - that's rare, mind you! - especially the lantern scene.

Ultimately, I highly recommend this film. With an outstanding animation and an abundance of heart, Tangled is absolutely what I would wish for in a fairy tale: remarkable, glorious and, of course, magical. It's a movie that's very hard NOT to like.

 RATING: 9/10

10 comments:

Will said...

The year is only beginning and it seems you already have a sure entry to your best of 2011. LOL

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: I know right! Haha.

ericaorange said...

sabi ko totorrent ko nalang to, but after reading your review, parang nakahinayang na hindi sa sinehan panoorin.

Robbie said...

libre mo TK. wahahahaha.

DAM THE NATION said...

Erica: Haha. I think it's better to watch it sa movie house. There's one particular scene that gave me goosebumps and deserves to be seen sa big screen. :)

DAM THE NATION said...

Robbie: Libre ko? I'll think about it. :P

sanriel said...

I SEE THE LIGHT!

DAM THE NATION said...

Sani: Yes! I see the light! :D

Mark said...

Rapunzel is the only Disney princess that doesn't have a movie yet. So they made one, and they nailed it!

The classic touch (musical) is still there, kudos to Disney for that.

And yeah, I want to have a protective chameleon like Pascal. lol

DAM THE NATION said...

Mark: Haha. I miss Pascal!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...