Thursday, April 28, 2011

American Idol 10: Top 6

I have to be honest, this episode was terribly boring. Yes, it's actually a better night than I anticipated vocally and there were a couple of stand out performances, but I felt a little underwhelmed. Maybe because of the messed up duets?

Also, the judges are, yet again, back to their cheerleader role. They gave a couple of constructive criticisms, but not to everyone! Can they at least be fair? Heck, they didn't even say a single bad thing about the duets and they weren't that good.

Nothing more to say.

DISCLAIMER: I am no expert, but this is my opinion - to each his own - and yours will be in the comments below! Haha.


6. Casey Abrams
Hi-De-Ho
What was that, Casey? I love myself some Casey Abrams and I think he's so charismatic, but this performance was strange, at least to me. Melodic growling. Rhythmic screeching. Playful grunting. Whatever you want to call it, it’s not singing. True, I enjoyed the beginning of his performance, but then too many growls were getting in there that I almost didn't want to listen to it.  Possibly one of the most polarizing performances this week. Love it or hate it! I didn't get it. Sorry. 7.5/10

5. Jacob Lusk
Oh No Not My Baby
If you're a Jacob fan, just stop reading this right now. Haha. While I applaud the effort of going uptempo - finally! - I kind of thought he may have just shot himself in the foot. Just a bit. He came in first, the outfit was, umm, interesting, and his vocals were uneven - there were obviously a couple of sharp bits in there. But for what it's worth, I enjoyed the second half of his performance, especially when he took it to the church. I admit, this wasn’t nearly as bad as I wanted it to be. 7.5/10

4. Lauren Alaina
Where You Lead
I must say, this performance was definitely a major notch above her usual. It wasn't her best vocal, but it was one of her best in terms of stage presence. I liked how she tried to extend her vocals though and I actually saw a glimpse of the swagger I've been missing for the past few weeks. The country flare she added to the song was kind of strange, but in a good way. Haha. A major step in the right direction. One thing though: if you pull someone up on stage, you should not leave them sitting there and wondering if you'll ever go back. Haha. Good idea, but the execution was funny. 8/10

3. Haley Reinhart
Beautiful
The arrangement was weird, but I couldn't deny the fact that she gave, yet again, another solid performance. Minus the fact that the music behind her was a tad louder, she killed this with her usual great vocals and incredible phrasing. I liked how she showed different sides of her voice in this number and she sounded pretty current on this song. Plus, she wasn’t trying to force that song on the audience. Honestly, I just couldn't help but root for Haley at this moment. She’s the girl that has had to work against the producers and the judges this whole season. She’s been left at her own devices to stay in this competition and she’s been doing a great job. Sometimes I wonder, why can't the judges give Haley the same enthusiasm they usually give to say, James or Casey? Sigh. 8.5/10

2. James Durbin
Will You Still Love Me Tomorrow
The a capella sounded phenomenal. There were one or two wonky notes in there, but his vocals were surprisingly unaffected. But then, the rocked out arrangement kicked in and that ruined the moment for me. He should have kept it sparse, ditched the guitar and dropped those over-the-top last two notes. That would've been incredible, I think. Oh well. His vocals remained in tact when the tempo changed, so it's all good. 8.5/10

1. Scotty McCreery
You've Got A Friend
This was beautiful! That’s exactly what he needed to do. Possibly the best performance Scotty's ever given! EVER. I thought he sounded really good, his phrasing was a little interesting than usual, and it was beautifully heartfelt. And as much as everyone harps on the inevitability of Scotty's win, this, at least to me, was the first week where he genuinely LOOKED like a potential, deserving winner. Yes, after tonight, I wouldn't mind Scotty sailing through to victory one bit. "Gangsta hands" notwithstanding, I really loved that performance. He even held the microphone relatively straight! 9/10


Haley Reinhart and Casey Abrams
I Feel The Earth Move
Their intro package together was hilarious! I liked how their chemistry seemed completely natural with no forced hilarity. "I love growling with her". HAHA. Oh, they sang THE Katelyn Epperly Death Song. Why? To be fair, I thought the performance was good-ish. It was as stunning as their other duet, Moanin', but this was a total crowd pleaser. Casey's harmony ruined the performance though. Sigh. 7/10

Lauren Alaina and Scotty McCreery
Up On The Roof
This duet was ok, if a little dull. Scotty was mumbling and Lauren was shrill. I don't know. I saw no real chemistry between these two and while cute, everything seemed somewhat forced. Oh, and who was off key on the harmony, Lauren or Scott, or was it my ears? Haha. I think a lower key would have made both of them sound better. 6.5/10

James Durbin and Jacob Lusk
I'm Into Something Good
Let me get this out of the way first: whoever put James in those white jeans and that too tight white shirt tucked in and around his tummy should be fired. Haha. I didn't understand at first why they paired them together, but when the both were screaming at the end, it kind of made sense to pair them. The performance was funny and that's all I'm going to say about it. 5.5/10

17 comments:

Anonymous said...

I guess I'm glad I didn't get to see it then, since it was so boring. Haha.

Anonymous said...

IDK why is it so hard for randy to give haley a compliment??
#angry

Damn!!!! i miss stefano already

Anonymous said...

@Anonymous #2--->totally agree,if stefano still around,stefano's rendition for You've Got A Friend will better than scotty,i'm really sure

OSO-Deluxe-Edition said...

man that Scotty kid is obnoxious, Haley FTW and plz no More Bottom 3.

Scotty or Jacob gotta get the hell outta there!

Maya Lintu said...

it was a boring week because Carole King is boring. :) JACOB GO HOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOMEEEEEEEE

The One said...

expecting the jacob lusk haters to come out in 5,4,3,2,1..... oh no wait, they are already here, they sleep here in oreder to be the first ones to post about how much the hate and dspise jacob lusk and it probably took every effort and control in DAM's body not to give jacob lusk a 0.1.

when will you people grow up and realise jacob lusk is by far the best singer on the show. appreciate, dont hate. hes going nowhere, hes gonna win this.

i love u dam said...

''I admit, this wasn’t nearly as bad as I wanted it to be.''

LOL, it probably did take dam every effort and self control in his body not to gove jacon=b a zero. he is an official jacob hater. i wish dam would video record his reaction when jacob wins the competition. i would pay to see that.i voted for jacob 20 times btw.

haters.

Some Idol Fan said...

Expected bottom 3: Haley, Casey, Jacob
Eliminated: Jacob

I thought the song had an odd arrangement for Haley. I still liked it though, not her best. I actually liked their duet of I feel the earth move... it was the best among the 3 duets.

Sigh... I feel Haley has 1 to 2 weeks left in AI no matter how good her performance is. She'll always be part of the bottom group. I highly doubt she'll be able to crack the top 3.

Carlos Jude Laron said...

hey dam your readers are basing whether they will watch idol or not on your reviews. wow the influence man! i loved this episode though! interesting to see who goes home:) eyeing on jacob or scotty to go already.

OSO-Deluxe-Edition said...

@Some Idol Fan
that's exactly how I feel.
Haley will continue to be there, no matter how good her performances are.
but I'm sure the general public LOVES her performances.

SOME SHOCKING FACTS:

Most Downloaded Song Top 7 Week:
Haley Reinhart- "Rolling in the Deep"

Least Downloaded Song Top 7 Week:
Scotty McCreery- "Swingin'"


do I need to say more !?
Haley being in the bottom 3, while Scotty is no where near that...
plz do us a favor and leave, you got zero star quality, sry.

oh and Haley's "Bennie and the Jets" is the most downloaded song this season.
#unfair

Kahel said...

To the Jacob lovers...Seriously? Will you buy a Jacob album should he win this? He may have a few moments in the show, but in terms of post-AI career longevity, he won't stand a chance compared to the others

an unbiased idol fan said...

wow you people seriously do hate jacob lusk!!!!!

yes we will buy jacobs lusk album. he is luther vandross reborn.

im not usually a hater but this jacob lusk bashing is getting out of hand. I HOPE AND PRAY HALEY GOES HOME.

I BEG U GOD SEND HALEY HOME! SHE IS SHITTTTTTTTTTT!!!

rant over. jacob will win.

MadAboutPia said...

For once I agree with you, DAM (on a few things at least... not your order of who was best though).

First, I kinda agree that Casey's performance was a love-it-or-hate-it type thing. I personally liked it a lot, and would have put him at #2 for the night... right behind James.
I got chills at the beginning of James' song, and even though the rocked-out part of the song wasn't as good I still thought it was better than everyone else.

I also agree that Scotty gave his best performance this week, and would put him at #3 (and actually would probably consider it a tie at #3 with Haley and Lauren).

Speaking of Haley... still not a huge fan, but I have to say she is by far the most improved this season. Her performance this week was a little awkward, but it wasn't her fault. I think one of the background singers had their mic turned up too high or something.

I'd put Jacob firmly at the bottom. He wasn't bad, just not nearly as good as the rest.

So, for the singles performances, my order would be:
6. Jacob
3. Haley, Scotty, Lauren
2. Casey
1. James

As for the duets... I cringed when I found out it would be Jacob and James together, but I thought they sounded pretty darn good together on that song (the best out of the duets).
The other two pairs sounded good when they were singing separately, but when they were trying for the harmonies they just didn't quite mesh (Scotty and Casey were the culprits I think).

Overall, I think this week was pretty good, and for once I don't know if I can pick a bottom 3. I do think it's Jacob's night to go home though.

Kahel said...

sure, whatever you say unbiased idol fan. buy that album (if he will ever have one!)

stop the biased jacob bashing said...

lol, kahel, jacob has a waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaay better chance than haley at having an album. haley reinhearts career ends at idol, she will never, i repeat NEVER get a deal. long live the lusk.

DAM THE NATION said...

Jacob Lusk Fans: I guess, we just have to agree to disagree on that. I respect your love for Jacob Lusk and so I expect people to respect the fact that I'm not a fan of the guy.

As I've said before, I'm not hating on Jacob, I'm just not a fan. Same with some of you that are not a fan of Haley or Scotty or James or Lauren. You don't like one of them, fine with me. I'm not complaining because that's your opinion. But does that make my opinion less valid just because I'm not a Jacob Lusk fan? No. Different strokes for different folks.

Thank you.

DAM THE NATION said...

OSO-Deluxe-Edition: Where did you get the facts about the most downloaded iTunes? American Idol don't release the iTunes sales since Season 7. I'm confused.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...