Wednesday, April 20, 2011

Glee Season 2: A Night Of Neglect Episode Review

A Night Of Neglect
Season 2, Episode 17

Seriously? One month of hiatus and you give us this? I admit, I have loved, liked, or at the very least enjoyed every single Glee episode up until now - well, Sexy was lame, but whatever. This episode was just downright disappointing. I get it, the episode focused more on the neglected characters of the show - Mike, Tina and Mercedes - and I was happy with that fact, but did someone forget to notify the writers that they still have a job? I don't know. Glee, to me, is slowly becoming a show that just stitches songs together with a pseudo plot that makes no sense at all. Sad.

GOOD:

- First five (5) minutes of the episode was incredibly hilarious. From the decathlon bit, to the Asian comment by Puck and even to Sue's speech with the Legion of Doom. I actually thought I was in for a good episode. Haha.

- Santana and her swag bitching out Dave Karofsky and his fake toughness! Haha. Don't you just love her?

- Tina Cohen, Mike Chang and Mercedes Jones were finally relevant on the show. Not that much, but I'll take it!

BAD:

- Again, lack of consistency! Apparently, Mercedes "Hell To The No" Jones is a shy wallflower now! Really? She's suddenly non-confrontational? Where was the the same girl who had a diva contest with Rachel in Episode 13 and fought Sue Sylvester over tatter tots in Episode 7?

- I was - yet again - disappointed with how they handled Mercedes' character and storyline. First, it was about tatter tots and now, it's about her being a ridiculously annoying diva. Way to go, Glee! That said, Mercedes possibly just gave one of her worst acting performances EVER! Just saying.

- So, it's settled? Nobody has parents in the Glee club except for Burt and Carole. Haha. Sure, I kind of understand why there were NO students during the fundraiser - except for the hecklers - but at least they should have a crowd of parents as support for the kids right? Where are they?

- Oh, and with all the extra performers from the choir to the band and even to Holly Holiday's full on strings orchestra, I'd expect SOMEONE other than the faculty or the student body to be there. Yes, I understand a need for drama, but seriously Glee? SERIOUSLY!

- I loved Gwyneth Paltrow when she first appeared on the show. Then, I was a bit iffy when she came back for another guest appearance and took half of the songs on that episode. Now? I'm just tired of her. Why was she singing instead of a student? Oh yeah, to give Will Schuester some storyline. Great!

- Sunshine Corazon's character was useless in the episode. She was just put in the episode to appease her fans no? I saw an improvement on her acting though.

- Sad for Tina, but I'll discuss that later. 

THE MUSIC:

ALL BY MYSELF was good, but the context was terrible. I mean, it seemed to me like the performance was just inserted for no apparent reason. I don't know. I did enjoy her somewhat interesting dialogue with the New Directions, but that's not saying much.

I FOLLOW RIVERS was just unfortunate. Tina couldn't have her My Funny Valentine solo without it getting ruined and of course, who has to get their solo ruined tonight? Tina! You're one neglected character. Sigh.

BUBBLE TOES. Mike Chang obviously can dance amazingly, but remind me again why is he in Glee club.. That is all.

TURNING TABLES. I admit, I didn't like her version of this song on isolation because I think she should not be allowed to sing any of Adele's songs, ever. But you know what? I kind of enjoyed her performance. I liked the production - though a strings orchestra was a bit much. Now, while I still think her rendition was a bit weak, I somewhat felt her. Operative word: somewhat!

AIN'T NO WAY. Good, but I've seen better performances from her. I thought the production was pretty neat though.

I just ranted no? Haha. Sue me.


Download music HERE.
Download episode HERE.

11 comments:

Anonymous said...

one thing I saw from this episode is that The new couch of Vocal Andrenaline is hot :D

gosh, I'm disappointed at how Tina's performance being ruined all the time *sigh*

love Santana :">

katuray said...

I actually loved Holly on this epi for two reasons.. one, because this is (HOPEFULLY) her final appearance on the show, and two, because of her Turning Tables nbr. I thought her version of this Adele song was really good.. minus the riffs, of course. And that's probably the only thing that I liked about last night's epi. ;)

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: Disappointed with Tina's edit as well. And yeah, Santa was possibly the best part of this episode.

DAM THE NATION said...

Katuray: I doubt this will be her last episode. Haha. But we'll see. As for Turning Tables, it was ok. Maybe I just love Adele's version that I'm inclined not to like any covers of it. HAHA.

Anonymous said...

I skipped most of the episode, but I heard in another review that Will made a comment to Holly somewhere along the lines of "come visit soon", which unfortunately would imply the doors are open for her to come back.

This episode is a great representation of what happens when both the music and the story line sucks. There wasn't one song I liked and most of the story (the 2 break ups and the bully) are clearly just a build up for future events.

Worse episode ever. I hope like hell Ryan Murphy reads some of the feedback from people on this episode.

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: That bit just convinced me that Holly Holiday will be back. Haha.

And yeah, I totally agree with the rest of what you wrote here!!

Gelo said...

Oh geez, I couldn't agree more BUT there were a couple of moments in the episode that got me chuckling. I am happy that Mercedes, Tina and Mike all had lines this episode but the way they handled them was just ugh.

Mercedes having this insecurity? Where did this come from? Tina's solo once again gets butchered? I am slowly starting to believe that they don't want her to sing at all. And yes, Mike's an amazing dancer and that's about it.

And I felt that they rushed the whole Holly and Will storyline. Let Emma be miserable for a few more episodes! And is Carl really gone? Like seriously?

And Sunshine was just total filler. She sang great and she's gone. Thank God she can finally act now. The last time was cringe worthy. Lol.

The only redemption for the entire episode is the League of Doom. I'm anxious to see what Terri would do.

DAM THE NATION said...

Gelo: Indeed! :)

Anonymous said...

(Different anonymous, just fyi)
I completely agree with you. This episode was really disappointing.
Side note: if there's supposed to be six people in the audience ... where were the 30 some string players while the others are singing? The choir for Mercedes? And then the guitarists and pianist that played for Christina?
Is it just me that thinks the accompaniests deserve more than three seconds on camera? I mean, if you're gonna focus on Mike who can't sing, I think they could at least give the piano guy who appears in pretty much every episode a NAME.
I digress.
I completely agree with what you've said about Tina and Mercedes. Tina should finish a damn song and Mercedes was a totally different character (another Rachel).
Emma. I felt sympathy for her at the beginning of the season (or whenever it was that her and Shoe broke up), but now it's just annoying. She's married girl - or was. Carl leaving? Where did that come from?
Sunshine is a WASTE OF SPACE.
However, there were a few good things:
Santana can really kick ass (funny how she went from my least favourite character in season 1 to my favourite in season 2) anticipation for what Terri will do to Shoe and FINALLY another Sue episode.
It really wasn't Glee without her - or at least not the one that got me watching it.

DAM THE NATION said...

Anonymous: I couldn't agree with you more!!

mark1814 said...

I have to agree this episode was a none event, which is a great shame because it started so well.

Teri has been so under used this season and personally I feel Teri should have been the one that split Carl and Emma up. Emma then seeks comfort from Will which in turn splits Holly and Will up. By the way I hope we have seen the last of Holly!

I couldn't agree more about the treatment of Tina and Mercedes. I hope things improve as we head top the season finale.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...