Friday, May 20, 2011

American Idol 10: Top 3 - Who's Going Home?

This is the first time in years - or even NEVER - where I actually don't care who wins this whole thing. Usually, I say that during the Finale, but for me to say it on a Top 3 night is just shocking, at least for me. I mean, they’ve all got strengths and weaknesses, but also possess the possibility of being an actual star. Of course, time will tell, but whatever.

That said, unlike the past 2 seasons, nobody actually had a killer Top 3 night. Kris Allen killed Heartless, and Lee DeWyze, I admit, pulled some amazing crap out of nowhere. Last night was actually pretty tame for the this season's Final 3, which makes this a little harder to predict than, say, Danny Gokey's ouster.

Scotty McCreery, to me, is the safest one but his performances plateaued already that I'm somewhat not interested in another three songs from him next week. But that's only my personal preference and no matter what I do, I think his trip to the Finale will be inevitable. The only thing that's working against him is that he performed first. History suggests that 7 out of 9 people (including Elliott Yamin, Danny Gokey and Vonzell Solomon) who performed first during a Top 3 performance night were eliminated - except for David Archuleta and Jordin Sparks. I wonder if he will also break this curse..

Lauren Alaina, on the other hand, is possibly the one who's in trouble this week. She had a good night, but it wasn't memorable enough. I also think that these two country teens are actually splitting their country voting block - it's like traditional country versus country pop - and I think it's safe to assume that Lauren is trailing behind because Scotty has never been in the Bottom 3. 

As for Haley Reinhart, it's too close to predict if she's going home or not. Coming into this week, I was pretty confident that she'll sail through to the Finale for the simple fact that people who hate country music will just vote for her by default. I also think that James Durbin's voting block will go to her as they are more on the same type of sound compared to the two country teens. Plus, she has this massive momentum and an incredible support from celebrities like Ellen DeGeneres and even Kelly Clarkson and Adam Lambert.

However, when I think about it, I think she's just as in trouble of going home as Lauren Alaina. Her performances, in general, were good, but it's a shame that her best performance was in Round 1. With 6 more performances after that, I'm afraid people might forget how stunning her Led Zeppelin version was. She also got muted praises from the judges, which may or may not make her fanbase complacent. I don't know.

Clearly, this week's elimination will be too close to call. It would be kind of refreshing to see an All-Female Finale (though unlikely), but I Do Not Want an All-Country Finale! At this point, a Scotty-Haley would be the best for the show. It's not as boring performance-wise, although the result would be as predictable as Taylor Hicks winning over Katharine McPhee. Waaah!!

I'm calling it a Scotty McCreery-Haley Reinhart Finale, with Lauren Alaina going home this week. TOUGH!

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...