Wednesday, May 25, 2011

Glee Season 2: New York Episode Review (Season Finale)

New York
Season 2, Episode 22

Last year's season finale was EPIC! I was an emotional wreck from start to finish - in a good way, of course. So I don't think it's too much to ask for something, at the very least, at par with last season right? I mean, Glee should end on a high note, as this season was nothing but lackluster most of the time. Indeed, too early for creative block!!

Unfortunately, this season's finale was underwhelming borderline disappointing. Sure, the episode started off pretty good, and then it all went to hell. Sigh. I really hope they get back on track next season.

THE GOOD: 

- The opening with Rhapsody In Blue scanning Times Square and ending with Rachel was brilliant!

- The irony of the girl who Rachel thought was her mom, Patti LuPone, just made a cameo on Glee. It was almost too surreal. 

- Original songs were actually better than I expected and their outfits were more tasteful than the one they used in Regionals. 

- I loved the scene with Santana, Brittany and Quinn. Possibly one of the most heartfelt scene in this episode.

- I LOVE SANTANA! Seriously, I'll fall in love with anyone who speaks Spanish at the heat of the moment.

- Blaine's "I love you" moment was simple and lovely. I'm glad there was no big drama about it. It felt so natural and real.

- You know what, I actually liked the fact that they didn't win Nationals. There wouldn't be much to work for next year if they had won everything this year. If they won Nationals at their FIRST shot at it, that would be actually quite anti climatic. Who actually wins and gets it the first time? Also, they wrote those songs like the day before! I would have been bothered if they won, to be honest.

THE BAD:
 
- How on earth did Quinn know that Cats closed and Rachel didn't? For a Broadway buff like Rachel? Really?

- Throughout the episode, the show emphasized that Rachel wasn't going to let ANYTHING else come between her and her dreams. Suddenly, one song later and she's ok with them ruining their chances of winning - or at least - placing at Nationals.

- Finn and Rachel were just selfish! They thought it was worth it for them to kiss on stage. What about the others?

- THE KISS was cringe worthy! JUST NO.

- Umm, where were the judges? 

- I don't want to rant about Finn for the nth time, but he's here again on this side of my review. Haha. Go figure!

- I know. I know. The bathroom scene with Sunshine Corazon showed character growth for Rachel, but it was obviously a lazy attempt to show growth. Didn't buy it. Sorry.

- Poor Quinn! She has had like nothing to do all season except be a lunatic about prom and be pathetic about Finn. Sigh. 

- While I agree that Mercedes should have someone, It should've been someone who wasn't Sam. I mean, Sam had gone through girl after girl in this show. First, he dated Quinn, then he dated Santana, then he decided to go on a weird three-way prom date with Rachel and Mercedes. Now, he's dating Mercedes, apparently. I'd like Sam to not be "The Boyfriend" because that's pretty much all he's been reduced to all season. Sad.

THE MUSIC:

MY CUP was obviously written for laughs. I actually enjoyed this just because Brittany was actually singing something that's not overly edited - I mean, her voice. Oh, and the sexual innuendos in this song are hilarious. Haha.

I LOVE NEW YORK / NEW YORK, NEW YORK was fun and light! I liked that they featured a couple of good places to visit in Manhattan. This place just have a special place in my heart. Haha. Mushy much? I just miss the place.

STILL GOT TONIGHT. I like the song. I don't like Will Schuester. Yes, I'm torn. Thanks Kris Allen for co-writing this song!

BELLA NOTTE was supposed to be good. Finn's presence ruined it though. Blech!

FOR GOOD. I love myself some Kurt and Rachel duet. I thought their voices are amazing together. The production was great and context of the song was kind of cute. One of my favorites in this episode.

YEAH! The choreography of this number was hysterical. I didn't know they're going this route when I listened to the recording. Haha. Of course, not the best one, but at least it got me giggling.

AS LONG AS YOU'RE THERE. Sunshine sounded great on this track and this single handedly beat the crap out of New Directions. That said, this absolutely could not compete with last year's Bohemian Rhapsody. Seriously.

PRETENDING. The song was actually really beautiful. I thought Finn and Rachel, as usual, sounded great together. But the kiss? That ruined it for me.

LIGHT UP THE WORLD was actually better than Loser Than Me, in my opinion. Better choreography and I was glad that they showcased even Tina and Brittany in this song. Yes, this song's a grower. I didn't think I'll like it, but their actual performance sold it to me. Very nice.

11 comments:

katuray said...

i REALLY tried to like this episode, but i didn't think it lived up to all the hype about this season's finale.

The show HAS TOTALLY LOST ALL SENSE OF REALISM.

They showed up at Nationals TOTALLY UNPREPARED; wrote, arranged and choreographed TWO songs a day before the competition.. considering how optimistic and confident they all were about winning Nationals.. ugh!

Breaking and entering to fulfill a dream of singing on a broadway stage, and actually being allowed by the usher/guard to do so?

Kurt claiming to have had a good year after Blaine told him he loves him (what about Karofsky's bullying and Burt's heart attack?)

The whole Finchel arc on this epi made me sick! They still have a whole year to make out before they graduate out of high school.

Samcedes?! Really?! Sam's a whore! Mercedes deserves so much better than trouty-mouth.

Loved Quinn's new haircut!

The anonymous all-girl group was amazing!!! THAT was a Nationals number! Pure awesomeness!

Pretending was okay. The kiss, well, as you said, selfish! (I loved Will's awkward clap)

Light Up the World. they sounded like they all swallowed auto-tuners for this number.. Reminds me so much of an overly produced Ford commercial on American Idol.

Geez, I'm so excited for season 3. really. yey. ugh!

Anonymous said...

WOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOH FINCHEL

About time.

Personally I actually did like this episode, maybe because I just don't expect anything besides some decent music and a few laughs...or i'm insanely biased and Finchel just made my day.

You're always going to find criticisms in a show like glee, but who really cares?

Anonymous said...

hmmm. i have a feeling that sunshine will join new directions next season. haha!

abel simanjuntak said...

I just hope they will give Quinn a solo next season and stop spotlighting Finchel, they have had enough spotlight in season one, and now season two. Please don't do it again for season three.

Will said...

If it wasn't for the appearance of LuPone and the inclusion of "For Good," I would've damned this episode to hell.

Seriously? Vocal Adrenaline on a Red Bull diet doing 24-hour rehearsals, and that was all they had to show? A couple of twirly-twirly dance moves?

LOL

DAM THE NATION said...

Will: Obviously they cut the VA performance because it's not about them. But I doubt that it's just a couple of twirly twirly dance. That's all.

Anonymous said...

i think what happend was rachel realized that she have a year before graduating so the hell make out with finn before nationals.

honestly i enjoyed the episode. maybe it's because i'm losing hope this season2, and this finale i can say is one of "more interesting" episodes.

Finn's character is ugh. major f*cked up. i'm so sad with what they did about Quinn's. :(

Anonymous said...

I HATE FINN! Really, Finn, please die.
I wanted Jesse :( ... he was like 3 seconds in this episode, whey they bring him back then? Man, I tried to like it, but this is one of the worst episodes of the whole season.

Anonymous said...

I enjoyed the episode but was disappointed that as a season finale it wasn't a little more epic. I think we needed some kind of cliffhanger like Sue holding up and mocking the small trophy they have won and then happily announcing the Will has left the school to take the part on Broadway!

I'm also a little confused about Quinn. At the end of the previous episode she tells Finn he'll have to wait and see about her plans for New York. Well what were they? Did I miss something, because all I saw her do was cut her hair!

Kurt and Rachel's duet was fantastic, although for continuity I'd like to see them perform Defying Gravity, with Kurt hitting th high note much to Rachel's surprise.

I loved Blaine's "I Love You" to Kurt it was so sweet. For a straight man Darren plays gay to perfection without resorting to any sterotype. Kurt's "I love you too" seemed a little flat in comparison.

I also loved the Brittany and Santana final scene, although the terrible continuity with Brittany's hair spoilt it a little for me.

The only way Finchel would have worked for me is if this was the first time they had got together and that was their first ever kiss but Finn constantly swapping between Quinn and Rachel gets very tired.

Personally this should have been a two parter so we can have all the fun of being on location in New York and then a proper competition story. As it was everything felt rushed. As for not even having written or rehearsed the songs before the contest was crazy.

Are the setting up a possible spin off show for after next season with Rachel, Kurt, finn and Blaine moving to New York to go to college? I like the idea of that.

ericaorange said...

For Good is love love love! haha

Anonymous said...

FINCHEL FOREVER!!!!!!!!!! I loved this episode!! I LOVE GLEE! so excited for season 3!!

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...