Wednesday, May 11, 2011

Glee Season 2: Prom Queen Episode Review

Prom Queen
Season 2, Episode 20

I thought it was a cute solid episode. Not necessarily the best episode, but it was like their Christmas episode - it didn't need to be perfect for it to at least be enjoyable. I'd say fun, but with a serious message and surprisingly a couple of character developments.

THE GOOD:

- Jesse Freakin' St. James is back, b*tches!! Haha. Somehow, I was irrationally excited when I learned about his appearance in this episode. I thought he had a very good introduction and he had some great delivery. I often don't trust Jesse's motives, but I just love having him back. But that scarf.. Really? Haha.

- I loved how Rachel legitimately forgave Jesse and let him come to prom because she wanted to. It had nothing to do with making Finn jealous whatsoever. I call that growth!

- Oh, and I loved Rachel's conversation with Finn in the hallway. It was realistic response to Finn's protectiveness. Plus, the fact that she coordinated her, Mercedes, Sam, and Jesse's prom was a great thing to do. Again, growth!

- It was ironic how Finn got a little taste of how Rachel felt when he went back to Quinn. Yes, I enjoyed watching Finn suffer of jealousy! Such a douche.

- Even though I read the spoilers, my jaw still dropped when I saw the actual scene of the Prom King and Prom Queen announcement. Frankly, it was handled much better than I anticipated - thank goodness!!

- Was it just me or was it kind of interesting that this episode actually had a lot of progression in relationships. It's quite refreshing, to be honest.

- Dave Karofsky was a fantastic actor! The direction they've taken with his story arc was very realistic and he's shockingly likable in this episode. Really loving the character development!

- The Run Joey Run mention was awesome - and hysterical! Haha.

THE BAD:

- For the record, I like Kurt's character and his plot was actually a great story that was executed really well. However, I for one am getting just a little tired of his character arc. I know. I know. It has been talked about before to no end, but I really feel like the show is running his character in the ground, from a critical standpoint. Seriously, can we get back to funny Kurt? Like how he was in that scene in his Home Economic class? Thank you.

- Finn. You. Freaking. Idiot. Hudson. I seriously wanted to punch him in the face!! I mean, he just obviously wants Rachel to pine over him while he's still with Quinn. Horrible!!

- That slap was so anti-climatic! The show hyped it to no end, and it was just that? I can't believe Rachel just took it and even seemed pleased. What was the point of it then?

- The editing after Kurt was announced Prom Queen didn't flow as much as I would've wanted. I got the idea, but it was just executed quite poorly.

- Finn and Jesse's fight was possibly the girliest EVER! Stop pushing each other. Just punch! HAHA. I'd do that to Finn!!

- Artie and Sue's subplot was STUPID!

-  When will they relegate Mike and Tina into guest star status? Use them, for crying out loud! With the dress and the tux, they melted perfectly into the background - except for a few headshots of Tina. Mike just wasn't there! Come on!

THE MUSIC:

ROLLING IN THE DEEP was an amazing performance, to say the least. I had been wondering how this scene would play out on the actual episode, and I have to say that it turned out great. Making an entrance through the song was definitely something Jesse would do. I loved the raw emotion and power that both Jesse and Rachel got in their voices. I giggled at the random set painters singing. And the scarf. Haha.

ISN'T SHE LOVELY. Adorable. Artie's voice fits the song perfectly. Yes, it was a bit awkward that he sang it to Brittany knowing that song was not being used in the right context, but I really enjoyed it. The addition of the acoustic guitar and the cooking utensil as percussion was quite clever.

FRIDAY was exponentially better than the original. I admit, I didn't hate Rebecca Black's version - thought it was undeniably crappy - but how they turned utter crap into such gold was beyond me! This was one of the most awesomely, "wildly overproduced" numbers Glee has ever done, I think. Maybe we just need to imagine it as an original song like Trouty Mouth or My Headband, you know with bad lyrics but funny. Haha.

JAR OF HEARTS. I noticed that these writers have no idea how to utilize a song no? This song, while it was a nice moment for Rachel, was inappropriate for prom. Don't you think? Slow songs in a prom are supposed to be about love - in a positive way. This song was angry. Weird.

I'M NOT GONNA TEACH YOUR BOYFRIEND HOW TO DANCE WITH YOU. Fun performance. That's all.

DANCING QUEEN. I've always considered this song as an epic karaoke/party song, and I have to say, it sounds a hell of a lot better with the singer's raw voice. But while Santana and Mercedes were pitch perfect, I hated how they edited their voices in this. The context was light though, which made the whole number entertaining.

3 comments:

katuray said...

another "okay" episode this week.. but i guess that's expected from the show's "brilliant" writers.

jesse st. james! geez! his gayness is sooooo sexy! lol! love him!

rachel not being all over finn this wk. i'm so tired of the finn-rachel arc.

blaine is such a sweetheart.. love, love, love him!

as for karofsky, why the hell is he getting more camera time than the others!? he's not even a GLEE CLUB MEMBER!

the songs? i really liked their take on dancing queen.. so gay, so chic! ;)

Nelvieee said...

This is probably one of those few episodes where Rachel is actually likeable (I'm not saying I hate her, but she's just so blah most of the time). I liked how it was a happy ending for everybody. Maybe except for Finn. Haha. But he deserved it! He's. so. ugh. this. season.

Will said...

Jonathan Groff to me will always be that Broadway actor who had simulated sex with Lea onstage. The scene is already embedded sa utak ko. LOL

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...