Wednesday, May 4, 2011

The Voice: Blind Auditions Part 2

You’d think that they could have thrown us a bone and found a few ugly people who had amazing voices so that we could at least play along with the illusion that this is all about the voice. But, while we got a couple of off beat looking people, they were all generally good looking people..

I also find it funny how this show keeps on repeating that these contestants are the best undiscovered talent in America. Hmm.. Well, I recognized two American Idol rejects - one who actually got disqualified, a girl who wrote a song for Reba McIntyre, which Lauren Alaina covered on American Idol, a kid who played Ben Affleck's kid in the movie Jersey Girl, two girls who were part of American Juniors and two people who had record deals before the show. Heck, I wonder whatever happened to Lucas Rossi, Rockstar Supernova Winner - yes, WINNER! - who was part of the show's promo a couple of weeks ago.

I also thought that the talent on last week's premiere episode was MUCH better. It felt like they stacked their first audition show with their best talent because this episode was rough. I've seen nothing here to convince me that the talent is better than American Idol. Yes, Adam Levine. Don't compare because give these kids weird restrictive themes and 15 songs to choose from, I wonder what they can do.

Obviously, my curiosity factor for the coaches was gone and suddenly it all felt like they were just looking for people to fill up their teams. I'm still watching the show next week though and let's see if the novelty of all this will wear off by then.

One thing for sure about The Voice though, they are a lot more current than American Idol. I'll give them that.

Here's what I think of everyone:

Cherie Oakley
Gun Powder and Lead
I guess that “undiscovered” talents mean people who aren’t household names? Seriously? I mean, this girl was Carrie Underwood's back up singer and she wrote the song Reba McIntyre's Turn On The Radio, which was ironically Lauren Alaina's first live performance on American Idol. Vocally, she's ok - nothing spectacular. It's just funny how Christina has gotten someone because she was the only one who turned around twice. Haha.
COACH: Christina Aguilera

Devon Barley
I'm Yours
This guy looks like an older version of Chicken Little, Kevin Covais. He's a decent singer and I like his tone, but that's about it for me now. I don't know.
COACH: Adam Levine

Joshua Scott Hand
Paparazzi
Gawd! This guy sucked! I couldn’t understand a word he was singing. Blech.
COACH: None

Raquel Castro
Bleeding Love
Seriously? I wouldn’t have chosen this girl. She was a mess. The notes, the modulation of her voice to the tone. Very mediocre. Oh, and don't act as if you're new to this. You're Ben Affleck's kid in the movie Jersey Girl. Haha.
COACH: Christina Aguilera

Emily Valentine
Sober
Look, another American Idol Season 8 reject! Haha. Apparently, she dyed her hair blonde - from pink - but the tone and the tattoos are still there. Sadly, her voice wasn't as good compared to her Idol audition. This, to me, was just a pitchy mess. Her key changes and transition from head voice to falsetto were awful. What happened?
COACH: Cee Lo Green

Niki Dawson
Teenage Dream
Good tone, but from the clip I saw. There's nothing more to say. I would have like to see of her though.
COACH: Cee Lo Green

Sara Oromchi
Imagine
Too short for me to even comment. Just saying.
COACH: Blake Shelton

Tim Mahoney
Bring It On Home To Me
Again, middle of the road for me. I have issues with his phrasing as seemed to drop the words at the end of every line. But let's see.
COACH: Adam Levine

Julie Eason
Mercy
She started out really rough, but there's something there. No, she's not the best I've seen on this show, but she's better than most in this episode.
COACH: Christina Aguilera

Angela Wolff
The House That Built Me
Seriously? She's better than half of the people they picked in this episode, but she got rejected? Really? She brought nothing new to the song, but I like her. I thought she sounded really good.
COACH: None

Tyler Robinson
Hey, Soul Sister
Lovely tone. Great phrasing. Nice voice. I like him and I honestly think he’ll be an interesting contestant. The outing on national television was funny though. Surprise Mom and Dad!
COACH: Blake Shelton

Nakia
Forget You
He's a little awkward on stage, but he sure can carry a tune. Not a fan of his version though - too affected for my taste. I think if he didn't growl that much on the song, this audition would've been a lot better.
COACH: Cee Lo Green

Serabee
Son Of A Preacher Man
Interesting, but again, too short for me to even comment on it.
COACH: Blake Shelton

Casey Desmond
Born This Way
Good powerful voice, I think.
COACH: Adam Levine

Justin Grennan
Drops Of Jupiter
I like his tone. Why can't we listen to them like the others? Sigh.
COACH: Christina Aguilera

WAIT UP: Did Adam Levine just diss American Idol? The people you didn’t turn around for could be on American Idol? You had a couple of American Idol rejects on your show. What are you talking about? Some Idol alums can sing circles around these contestants. Personally, Adam’s slam towards the other show might have made more sense if the contestants haven’t been mediocre on the average tonight OR if some of the contestants they chose weren’t Idol rejects! Just saying.

Dia Frampton
Bubbly
I like her quirky tone and the changes she made were fantastic. It didn't sound karaoke, which was basically the risk she took when she decided to do something as stylized as Colbie Caillat's Bubbly.
COACH: Blake Shelton

Curtis Grimes
Hillbilly Bone
Rough audition. I can see a great deal of potential, but yet again very mediocre. I don't know.\
COACH: Cee Lo Green

Tori and Taylor Thompson
Stuck Like Glue
A bit iffy with their harmonies and they obviously need to work on their breathing. I agree, they're SORT OF adorable, but I don't really care.
COACH: Cee Lo Green

SECOND CHANCE: Well, this whole twist made the gimmick chair pointless, anyone should recognize the person by their voice after one song. They were rejected the first time for a reason!!

Lily Elise
If I Ain't Got You
This was bad. The key changes were terrible, her lower range was wobbly and I didn't like how she went on to sing the rest of the songs.
COACH: Christina Aguilera

Sonia Rao
Chasing Pavements
WTF! To be honest, I liked her the first time she auditioned and yes, this time her vocals were obviously much stronger. What was the judges thinking? Raquel Castro or even Lily Ellse over her? Weird.
COACH: None

Jared Blake
Not Ready To Make Nice
This awful rocker again!? Ok. To be fair, his second audition was actually pretty good. First time I’ve heard that sung by somebody other than the Dixie Chicks that I actually believed it.
COACH: Blake Shelton

Casey Weston
Stupid Boy
The key was just too low for her. It became mumbly at some parts. Not a fan. Sorry.
COACH: Adam Levine

Angela Wolff
Rolling In The Deep
Strange phrasing, but I liked her first audition. So, whatever.
COACH: Adam Levine

5 comments:

OSO-Deluxe-Edition said...

yeah, not a great episode.
but I still enjoy the show, and I'm loving the fact that they are current and relevant.

and it's way too soon for me to pick a favorite.

DAM THE NATION said...

OSO-Deluxe-Edition: True. But if I'll have a favorite, he/she is probably part of the first batch.

Anonymous said...

I liked Dia Frampton... The rest were, meh...

OSO-Deluxe-Edition said...

yup, some of the first batch were amazing.

oh and hurry up with the studio recordings, I bet some would be enjoyable and better than the live versions.
still can't get enough of the first episode's recordings btw.

Robbie said...

Oo na mas gusto mo na ang American Idol! Hahahaha.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...