Wednesday, June 22, 2011

The Voice: Live Performance Part 3 (Semifinals)

Ok. Before anything else, let me just say that the format and pacing of this show is incredibly strange. I mean, they did the results from last week's performances in this episode and then everybody's performing? But whatever. Just glad the best singers advanced this week. Oh, and it's 6 Girls and 2 Boys. Kind of refreshing, to be honest. Haha.

RESULTS!

TeamCee Lo
America's Save: Vicci Martinez
Christina's Save: Nakia

Team Adam
America's Save: Javier Colon
Blake's Save: Casey Weston

Now, as for the performances this week? I thought they were all shockingly great. There were a couple of missteps here and there, but collectively, this was a pretty strong episode. Oh, and I can’t believe this show got so many current songs to clear. That's definitely a win for The Voice over American Idol. I'm still in love with Idol, but the judges here - with the exception of Christina - are so much more likable. Who knew? 

Frenchie Davis
Team Christina
Like A Prayer

I really wanted Frenchie to do well in this competition, but she was really missing the mark with this song. To be fair, the performance wasn't all that bad, however, her delivery lacked that certain punch. Plus, I thought the song choice didn't showcase much of Frenchie's strength as a vocalist. She was out of breath during the first half of the song and when she went for the high notes, her voice became a little shrill. Too bad that her vocal precision wasn't completely there. 7/10

Nakia
Team Cee Lo
Whataya Want From Me

Wait, so Adam Levine hasn't heard this song before and that Nakia sang it better than the original? Hmm. While I do think that Nakia pulled this performance pretty nicely and made some obvious changes to differentiate his version from the original, I don't think his version was better than Adam Lambert's - as per Adam Levine. He was under pitch while he was playing the piano, but sounded way much better when he started walking around the stage. So yes, the whole thing was a bit uneven. Oh, and was it just me or did the band sound too loud? Good, but it could've been better. 7.5/10

Dia Frampton
Team Blake
Losing My Religion

Wow. I admit, I wasn't a big fan of her Heartless performance, but this one's something else! I thought this was stunning. Her upper register was great, gorgeous phrasing, the vocal liberties she took were lovely and that little clap at the middle of the song was actually a nice touch. 9/10

Casey Weston
Team Adam
I Will Always Love You

Not a good song choice for Casey. AT ALL. I don't know. I was rooting for her because she has this raw and earthy quality to her voice that's very distinct. Sadly, this song choice didn't do her any favors. It wasn't that she sang it badly - she was decent - but with a song this iconic, it's really hard not to draw comparisons. Also, she should work on her vibrato a bit. Just saying. 7/10

Beverly McClellan
Team Christina
The Thrill Is Gone

Never a fan of Beverly because, yes, she scares the hell out of me, but you know what, her performance was actually quite lovely. Her notes were almost always on point and she sure has such a great performing quality. If only she’d have been a little more restrained, this would've been spectacular. Regardless, it's still a really good song choice and performance. 8/10

Javier Colon
Team Adam
Fix You

Quite frankly, this performance was so much better than Angel from last week. True, his vocals started out shaky, but once the band came in it got so much better. His voice had enough power and control, his phrasing was wonderful and he really seemed connected with the song. That said, I still think his performance of Time After Time was still his best to date, but that's probably a moot point because he's obviously pretty close to a done deal. 8.5/10

Xenia
Team Blake
The Man Who Can't Be Moved

I admit, Xenia's awfully green as a performer, but this song worked absolutely well for her voice that I actually didn't mind her non-existent stage presence. Last week, I was a bit hard on her just because the song needed a certain amount of sass and she just didn't deliver. This week, however, was a totally different story. Sure, she was still a bit timid, but her vocals carried the whole performance. I loved how her vocals moved around the song as it didn't sound karaoke. 8.5/10

Vicci Martinez
Team Cee Lo
Dog Days Are Over

I'm not sure if she did anything to the song to make it her own, but this was AMAZING! Her vocals wasn't perfect, but it was strong and powerful and she was on pitch most of the time. She has presence on stage and those drums were absolutely genius. It's a little gimmicky, but so what? It added attitude and flare to the whole performance. Somehow, this has cool written all over it. Great! 9/10

PREDICTION

TEAM CEE LO
Vicci Martinez

TEAM ADAM
Javier Colon

TEAM BLAKE
Dia Frampton

TEAM CHRISTINA
Beverly McClellan

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm rooting for Dia and Vicci! But I think Javier might just win the whole thing since I think he probably already did with his audition piece. Pretty much like Scotty's situation. Lame. jmo.

OSO-Deluxe-Edition said...

I like Casey, but yeah I agree, such a lame song choice.
I'm rooting for Dia, even though I'm not really sure if she's a singing competition winner material, but again, neither was Scotty...

ann said...

I like Casey too. It's sad that Javier is a heavy favorite. I want the final 4 to be Dia, Vicci, Casey and Beverly. But I think it will be Dia, Javier, Vicci and Beverly. I would love it if Xenia could be in the finals as well, but it's impossible. Anyway, Dia Frampton FTW!

OSO-Deluxe-Edition said...

alright I changed my mind, I think Dia should win, and she 100% deserves to.
can't stop watching her performance.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...