Sunday, September 25, 2011

The Sing-Off Season 3: Signature Songs (Episode 1)

If it's just based on pure singing talent, this underrated singing reality competition, The Sing-Off, tops everything else! Seriously. The Sing-Off is so much better than The Voice, The X-Factor, and yes, even my beloved American Idol.

The talent pool this season is very impressive and it's refreshing  to see all of these singers who aren’t pitchy and don’t need instrumental accompaniment to stay on key.

The Sing-Off also got the BEST JUDGES EVER! With Ben Folds, Shawn Stockman, and Nicole Scherzinger's replacement, Sara Bareilles where could they go wrong? They all know their stuff and they give articulate and constructive criticisms.

Nicole Scherzinger was useless in the last two seasons of the show - Simon Cowell was on crack when he decided to hire her as a judge on The X Factor - and thank God for Sara Bareilles who adds freshness and charisma to the panel. Plus, she's very knowledgeable! Can I say the first ever useful female judge?

Oh, and I always love the show's epic group performances!

Group Performance: Perfect by Pink



Here's how I rank their performances! 

8. Cat's Pajamas
Some Kind Of Wonderful (eliminated)
Sure, they were technically on point. However, they were just too slick and professional for my liking that I didn't find anything engaging about them. 5.5/10

7. Fannin' Family
Who Says (eliminated)
They have pretty solid lead vocalist, but they seemed to be a little raw for the competition. I think they were horribly outclassed. 6/10

6. Urban Method
Love The Way You Lie
It was a solid first performance, although I felt like there was just too much rap into it and not enough of everything else. I also found the group's counterpoint towards the end a bit messy. I did like their female lead's voice though. 7/10

5. Kinfolk9
Secrets
I admit, something seemed a little off with their perfomance - maybe they needed a bit of an extra work in their harmonies - but they've certainly got promise. Lots of emotion and I loved their male lead's tone. I hope they'll work on their quirks as there may be too many groups with more technical edge and polish than them. 7.5/10

4. The Yellow Jackets
Wavin' Flag
This performance was powerful. I did like the fact that the group didn't settle for one specific lead as it offered a good sense of dynamics in their presentation. I'm actually looking forward to what they will do next. 7.5/10

3. Vocal Point
Jump Jive and Wail
Not so keen about the song choice, but they're incredibly infectious. I thought their harmonies were spot on and I kind of liked their choreography. Ha! Oh, and that last note was pretty impressive. 8/10

2. Afro-Blue
Put Your Records On
I loved the smoothness of their lead vocal. It sounded effortless, relaxed and I kind of dug the jazzy arrangement of the song. It got a little muddled somewhere in the verses, but that's just me nitpicking. 8/10

1. Delilah
Grenade 
"Supergroups" usually annoys me, but their presentation was probably the best of the night. Tight vocals. Great harmonies. Incredible dynamics. Outstanding lead. Interesting arrangement. Their version of this Bruno Mars' ditty was amazing! 9/10

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...