Thursday, May 31, 2012

Idol Sales: Phillip Phillips Single Debuts Strong And Breaks An American Idol Record!

It's official, having a Finale song that can sell on its own merit  is definitely paying off for Phillip Phillips and American Idol as well. Yes folks, Phillip Phillips' Home is off to an IMPRESSIVE start as he manages to rank #2 on the Billboard Digital Songs chart and #10 in the Billboard Hot 100 with 278,000 downloads sold, according to Billboard. Once again, this gives American Idol bragging rights. Haha. They must be thrilled!

The last time an American Idol coronation single made the Billboard Hot 100 top 10 was four years ago when David Cook's Time Of My Life landed at #3 with 236,000 downloads. Home, therefore, just ousted Cook to have the record for the BIGGEST selling debut week for a coronation single since SoundScan began tracking downloads in 2003. Season 2 Finalists, Ruben Studdard and Clay Aiken, sold more than Phillips', but they are CD singles, which were more prominent before.

Moreover, Home is officially the 2nd best digital sales week EVER for any American Idol alum. Kelly Clarkson's My Life Would Suck Without You has that record when it debuted with 280,000 downloads.

Oh, and Phillip Phillips has the 4th biggest debut of 2012, only trailing behind Justin Bieber's Boyfriend (521K), Maroon 5's Payphone (493K) and Katy Perry's Part Of Me (411K). And yes, that's a MIGHTY IMPRESSIVE feat for the new American Idol.

As for Jessica Sanchez, her sales were abysmal as she didn't even chart ANY of her released songs in the Billboard Digital Songs chart. Even Change Nothing didn't climb into the Top 200 songs, which makes her the FIRST runner-up in Idol history to release a song and fails to crack the charts a week after the Finale. Her compilation of American Idol performances debuted at #126 selling 4,000 copies. This is quite disappointing relative to Phillip Phillips' EP, which enters the chart at #11 with 24,000 copies sold, according to USAToday. I wonder what happened to her fans?

Figures after the jump!!


Here is a recap of how each American Idol Winner has fared on the Hot 100 with their coronation singles:

#01 Kelly Clarkson (A Moment Like This)
#02 Ruben Studdard (Flying Without Wings)
#01 Fantasia Barrino (I Believe)
#01 Carrie Underwood (Inside Your Heaven)
#01 Taylor Hicks (Do I Make You Proud)
#15 Jordin Sparks (This Is My Now)
#03 David Cook (Time Of My Life)
#11 Kris Allen (No Boundaries)
#24 Lee DeWyze (Beautiful Day)
#11 Scotty McCreery (I Love You This Big)
#10 Phillip Phillips (Home)

Here is a recap of how each American Idol Runner-ups has fared on the Hot 100 with their coronation singles:

N/A Justin Guarini
#01 Clay Aiken (This Is The Night)
#14 Diana DeGarmo (Dreams)
#02 Bo Bice (Inside Your Heaven)
#12 Katharine McPhee (Over The Rainbow)
N/A Blake Lewis
N/A David Archuleta
#72 Adam Lambert (No Boundaries)
#57 Crystal Bowersox (Up To The Mountains)
#20 Lauren Alaina (Like My Mother Does)
N/A Jessica Sanchez (Change Nothing)

Here are the sales numbers for coronation singles on it's FIRST WEEK:

01. Clay Aiken - This is the Night (393,000)
02. Ruben Studdard - Flying Without Wings (286,000)
03. Phillip Phillips - Home (278,000)
04. David Cook - Time of My Life  (236,024)
05. Kelly Clarkson - A Moment Like This  (236,000)
06. Taylor Hicks - Do I Make You Proud (228,418)
07. Scotty McCreery - I Love You This Big (171,000)
08. Carrie Underwood - Inside Your Heaven (170,528)
09. Fantasia - I Believe (142,141)
10. Kris Allen - No Boundaries (134,458)
11. Lauren Alaina - Like My Mother Does (122,000)
12. Bo Bice - Inside Your Heaven (121,423)
13. Lee DeWyze - Beautiful Day  (95,000)
14. Katharine McPhee - Over the Rainbow (74,965)
15. Jordin Sparks - This is My Now (74,303)
16. Diana Degarmo - Dreams (65,000)
17. Crystal Bowersox - Up to the Mountain (49,000)
18. Adam Lambert - No Boundaries (35,984)
  • Justin Guarini, Blake Lewis and David Archuleta did not get coronation songs released.
  • Katherine McPhee’s Somewhere Over The Rainbow was released as a double A-Side with her coronation single, My Destiny, and since the former outsold the latter on iTunes, sales of the commercial single were all attributed to Somewhere Over The Rainbow.

8 comments:

destinycayin said...

I've read somewhere that they were not able to download Change Nothing after the finale as they kept on getting an error message and they think that it's kind of a plot in favor of Phillip Phillips (not sure if I believe that conspiracy theory). I think Home is way better than Change Nothing but I'm still a bit surprised that it didn't do so well, I mean yeah what happened to Jessica's fans?

Anonymous said...

Dear Dam would you please post album art for the rest of Idol studio recording I always use them for mine cause they look so freaking amazing pretty please!!!!!!!! <3 <3 <3

Anonymous said...

hey i am also using your artworks,, please post it here.. :D

HappyListener50 said...

Jessica's fans in the US, including myself, can't buy her album or songs off iTunes. Clicking to buy her album just takes me to the review screen. Reading the comments reveals more of Jessica's fans also can't buy her album or songs. Trying to buy Jessica's individual songs, "the item you tried to buy is no longer available". What is going on at iTunes?!.

HappyListener50 said...

I have been trying for weeks to buy Jessica's album and songs off iTunes and still can't. No wonder Phillip is at the Top of iTunes Billboard Chart. Many of Jessica's fans can't buy her album or songs. I successfully bought and downloaded Colton Dixon, John Legend and Beyonce songs, affirming my internet connection and iTunes account are sound. The problem is only with Jessica's songs. Something smells fishy.

Anonymous said...

@HappyListener50: Smells fishy? What would they (AI, iTunes, etc.) get from it if that's true?

Anonymous said...

It looks like Jessica's fans always find excuses not to buy... at first, they blamed iTunes for "not letting them buy" (sure, iTunes didn'y want your money)... Now Jessica's EP CD in Walmart doesn't sell well... Why? I guess it's now Walmart's fault, right?

Anonymous said...

I was an American Idol fan & for Season 11, the Top 23 were my idols, not Jessica. Somehow, her voice shifted my choice, lol. Now I'm a huge JS fan. I bought her songs from iTune, Walmart online order, and Walmart Store. Buying "Change Nothing" SINGLE in iTune was strange & unsuccesful. Something is fishy.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...