Tuesday, November 13, 2012

The Voice 3: Top 12

Wow. There was such a thin margin of suck between all of them that there's possibly not even any point in trying to single out a best or worst. Haha. Maybe I'm exaggerating, but this episode seriously killed the momentum of the show.

To be honest, none of these Top 12 strick me as having much X Factor - pun intended. Haha. Plus, everyone kind of blur together. Oh, and after last week, I thought I had it ALL figured out, but some of the performances tonight have made this wide open. So yes, I don't know really have a clue yet again.

Anyway, recap after the jump! 

12. Michaela Paige
Blow Me (One Last Kiss)
Call the cops! Someone just murdered a song! Haha. Why pick a song of an artist that's WAY too similar to her style? She clearly paled in comparison and she didn't bring anything new to the tune. Plus, her vocals were all over the place. It didn't suit her range, her pitch was terrible and she seemed unsure of what notes to hit. Such a shame. She should've gone with a different song. 4/10

11. Sylvia Yacoub
My Heart Will Go On
Wow. Sylvia hit enough clunkers on this song that she could actually sink Titanic herself. Haha. I don't know. I guess, last week was indeed a fluke. She had moments in there somewhere, but to sing a Celine Dion should be an instant elimination. She just doesn't have that strong voice and a solid pitch to give justice to this classic hit. To be fair, I love how she looked like she was about to knock someone out with that scowl. Haha. 4.5/10

10. Adrianna Louise
Good Girl
Did she try to appeal to country voters or something? Her vocals were, unsurprisingly, uneven, but this was actually MUCH better than I expected. I liked the grit in her voice and her lower register actually sounded pretty if not for her uncontrollable pitch. Still far from good, but I'll have this than the shouting I heard from her last week. 5/10

09. Cassadee Pope
Behind These Hazel Eyes
I laughed when Blake told Cassadee that she naturally sings sharp. Haha. To me, Cassadee needs to come back with something that uses her high range to full effect that's not cringe worthy and also doesn't expose her lack of lower register. Torn was a perfect example and not this Kelly Clarkson hit. Her tone bordered on the unpleasant when he tried to hit some of the higher notes. If only she had about 20% more power and 50% less vibrato, she would have knocked it out of the park. 5/10

08. Amanda Brown
Spectrum
Oh, how the mighty have fallen in a matter of one week! I give her high points for the song choice, but this performance was a BIG disappointment. Her vocals were a scattered mess, and while the middle part sounded a lot better, the whole performance just wasn't one of her best. Maybe this was not the best song choice for her. She should be safe based on her performance last week, but who knows! 5.5/10

07. Terry McDermott
More Than A Feeling
I love myself some Terry, but he needs to STOP singing cliched, overdone 70s and 80s rock ballads. This, to me, was his weakest performance so far. His vocals were sub par and he kept on cutting those high notes. Oh, and I can't shake the feeling that this was  just a decent bar band performance. 6/10

06. Dez Duron
Can't Take My Eyes of You
Sure, Dez is adorable and probably too disgustingly attractive to be straight, but he's not much more than an average singer. Not sure why he or Christina picked this song because he obviously has no soul in his voice and he probably tried a little too hard with those runs, but at the same time, I wasn't mad at his performance. A little cheesy, but that's Dez for you. 6/10

05. Cody Belew
Simply The Best
But in the battle of cheese, I thought Cody took out Dez on this one. Haha. The song choice was a little too strange for my taste, but him getting that inner Cher on his voice was pretty interesting. Her tone sounded good although he didn't bring the power the song requires. Decent, at the very least. 6/10

04. Trevin Hunte
When A Man Loves A Woman
From the song choice to the vocal dynamics, Trevin reminded me so much of Joshua Ledet in Ruben Studdard's body. I'm awful, I know. Haha. Vocally, this was good compared to the others. Sure, he started off a little rough, but got better towards the mid section of the song until the end. One problem I have with Trevin is that he's just not very interesting. 6.5/10

03. Nicholas David
Power Of Love
This song choice was a little too new wave for my taste, but I thought he sang it well, he performed it awesomely and he's goofy as hell. I think he has a great quality to his voice that somehow made this performance work. I did think he's a goner after tonight, but he proved me wrong. Good stuff. 7/10

02. Bryan Keith
Back To Black
Ok. This was another solid performance from Bryan - in as much as he didn't suck - if still slightly lifeless. Haha. Vocally, this was possibly one of the best as I did enjoy how his voice navigated that song with a good amount of dynamics. Not crazy about the arrangement and there was an obvious disconnect between his performance and the song itself, but that's nitpicking. 7.5/10

01. Melanie Martinez
Cough Syrup
I admit, she was swallowing most of her words, but this was the best Melanie has sounded in a long time - maybe after her Toxic blind audition. Nothing earth shattering, but her distinct vocal tone was front and center here. I thought her performance showed some good dynamics and it's the kind of music that suits her best. 8/10


PREDICTION
Michaela Paige
Adrianna Louise

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

So Trevin Hunte would win? lol

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...