Thursday, November 8, 2012

X Factor US 2: Top 13

Compared to last week, this one seemed as though they got the sound figured out. Most of them sounded and performed A LOT better than last week, where pretty much everyone sucked. I don't know if it was the theme: Movie Night, but I really enjoyed almost everyone that I had a hard time ranking the upper tier.

As for the judges/mentors, they obviously have chemistry and I particularly like how Simon and Demi got into each other's throats - though the latter got a bit annoying towards the end. Haha. Somehow, Britney Spears got better with mentoring her acts and also from her judging. Demi, on the other hand, is a better judge than a mentor. But, I digress.

Oh, and someone's back! A wildcard contestant again!

On to the rankings!

13. Cece Frey
Eye Of The Tiger
I hate to say this, but Demi Lovato is actually ruining Cece's chances in this competition. Where was that fun, flirty, and interesting contestant at Judges' Home? This, to me, was everything Cece shouldn't be. The song choice was terrible, the arrangement was strange, she looked awkward on stage, she lacked energy and her vocal was a mess - and that's putting it lightly. Such a shame that Demi stripped everything away from her that made Cece special in the first place. 4/10

12. Jason Brock
I Believe I Can Fly
Oh God! This song again? I was hoping that at the end of the song, Jason will just grow wings and fly, but that didn't happen. Haha. I did agree with Britney and Demi that Jason sounded fine, but it came across as something very lounge-y and cabaret and all he needed was a cruise ship to complete the set. Oh, and Khloe, please don't ask Britney anymore questions. Haha. Scream by Usher? Really?  5/10

11. Diamond White
I Have Nothing
I have nothing.. nothing.. nothing more to say, but they brought Diamond back for this? I admit, I was a little disappointed when she got cut last week and I thought she deserved another shot, but why waste this reprieve for a predictable song choice like this? Heck, Melanie did this song the week after she was brought back by Simon. Talk about consistency no? Diamond is a fine singer, but she doesn't have a good chest voice to pull this one off and it sounded a little shrill when she tried to hit those high notes. This just didn't prove why they brought her back. 5.5/10

10. Beatrice Miller
Iris
Was it just me or did Beatrice sound like a less impressive Haley Reinhart with those vocal inflections? Haha. I love her as much as the next person, but her vocals were not as good as I thought they were early on. Her voice was unevenly shaky, the performance was incredibly bland and I'm just not liking a rockified version of herself. She looked more comfortable with this song compared to last week, but I just didn't enjoy this as much as I wanted to. 5.5/10

09. Vino Alan
When A Man Loves A Woman
True, Vino sounded A LOT better this time, but that didn't take much to improve from a vocal mess that was last week. Somehow, his performance left me a little cold though. It felt a little manic in parts, I didn't feel compelled to pay attention, and I was completely distracted during his performance. And yes, that's always not a good thing. 6/10

08. Emblem3
My Girl/California Gurl Mash Up
I seriously thought they were doing a One Direction song. Haha. While I did enjoy them last week, this was a little lackluster. Besides the clever mash up of two songs with the use of What Makes You Beautiful riff, the performance was nothing special. I thought the singing was a little sloppy and that one kid looked out of place on stage. It's an entertaining mess - entertaining, but still a mess. Haha. 6.5/10  

07. Tate Stevens
Dead Or Alive
I wouldn't say the song choice was totally exciting because it wasn't, but I thought his vocals were really good. I liked the attitude he added to his performance and that he slightly changed it up a bit. I still think his image doesn't really fit the show, but this was not bad. 6.5/10

06. Jennel Garcia
I Love Rock & Roll
While I still don't buy the whole rocker shtick - Jennel just doesn't have that raw edge to her voice to be a convincing rock singer - but I just couldn't fault her vocals. I thought she sounded amazing on this and I liked that she changed the melody a couple of time to somehow differentiate her version from the original. Oh, and she did light up the stage. I agree with Simon though, I miss the fun and charming Jennel. 7.5/10

05. Paige Thomas
Take My Breathe My Away
This was absolutely her best vocal performance EVER. I thought the theatricality of it all was a little too much, but I was shocked that it didn't, in anyway, trumped Paige's vocals. Her pitch was spot on, her vibrato wasn't all over the place, and she showcased a shockingly strong vocals. I was actually a bit baffled that she got mixed reviews from Simon and LA this week after their praised her a week ago for a relatively weaker vocals. Why does Simon want to turn everything into a dance song? That's imagination for you? 7.5/10

04. Arin Ray
American Boy
While there were minor flaws in his vocals, this was seriously quite impressive. The rap breakdown was a nice touch, his stage presence was awesome and the arrangement of the song was actually really good. He looked like a little pop star on that stage. To me, Arin just proved to everyone that he can be a relevant artist. Massive potential. Good job. 8.5/10

03. Carly Rose Sonenclar
It Will Rain
Vocally, Carly Rose was untouchable. I thought her pitch was flawless, her tone was lovely and that vocal control was absolutely impressive for her age. I wish she sang the melody straight though as things got a bit unrecognizable in the middle of her performance. But yeah, this was a lot better than her performance last week. 8.5/10

02.  Fifth Harmony
A Thousand Years
Fifth Harmony formerly known as 1432 formerly known as Lylas. Haha. I'm actually good with this new name - I prepared myself for something much worse - and their performance this week was awesome. I thought their harmonies were spectacular and they sounded like an actual girl group. I still dislike Camilla's voice - she sounded like a kid - but it was just pure bliss when the others came in. I found Laurena nd Dinah's voices particularly terrific. The potential in this girl group will be endless. Just saying. 8.5/10

01. Lyric145
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious 
THIS WAS AWESOME! Mary Poppins? Really? They took something that I wouldn't expect to NEVER EVER work - like, ever - but it somehow did. The song choice was brave and unexpected, the arrangement was creative and the performance was ridiculously entertaining. It was unbelievably refreshing. I was worried that Lyric145 wouldn't work as a group as I felt like rap as a genre has limited appeal on these shows, but something as fun as this is hard to ignore. Lyric Da Queen was fantastic and this group could actually replace LMFAO. Haha. 9/10


PREDICTION

BOTTOM 2
Cece Frey
Jason Brock

Who should go home?
Jason Brock

Who will go home?
Jason Brock

2 comments:

Desperate Houseboy said...

Carly Rose Sonenclar
Lyric145
Tate Stevens
Vino Alan
Fifth Harmony
Paige Thomas
Diamond White
Arin Ray
Emblem3
Beatrice Miller
Jennel Garcia
Jason Brock
Cece Frey

X said...

I agree with your top 3. Lyric145 was amazing (and that's coming from a guy who dislikes rap... a lot). It was exciting, fun, entertaining, completely unexpected... just plain awesome.
Lyla..er 14..er Fifth Harmony was spectacular. I love groups that can harmonize like that (Wilson Philips is one of my favorites). The harmonies were what I was missing from there previous performances. A couple of the girls still need to work on their vocals, but for the most part these girls are awesome together.
CarlyRose... to take an American Idol thing... this girl could sing the phone book! She's so great... and only 13? Crazy good.

I'm worried about Cece. She has a lot of talent, and it seems to me its being wasted. And, again, I'm going to blame it on the crap that she's being surrounded with (dancers, sets, etc). The song choices aren't doing her any favors either.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...