Wednesday, September 11, 2013

Movie Review: Elysium

Elysium was fine. I liked the strong hints of real present problems, I found the visuals to be quite fantastic and detailed, and the action pieces were exciting. It wasn't as good as Neill Blomkamp's previous effort, District 9, but it was a decent film. It didn't take off as I was hoping though mainly because the narrative felt very shallow and predictable with horribly written characters. I mean, most of the cast were underused. Jodie Foster really didn't have much to work with and I felt like she was just there to move the plot forward, and Matt Damon, though convincing as the lead, came off one dimensional. I don't know. Elysium could've been so much more, but it's flaws held it back from being as good as it could've been. 6.5

2 comments:

Mark said...

I agree with your review. The movie is up there, but didn't hit the ceiling. I'm almost there at really hating (or really loving) Jodie's character, but... ayun... nabitin lol.

The movie could've also started with sort of an opening narration with visuals on how earth became like that and how they built and migrated people to Elysium, etc.. just some short special effect/visual treat for the viewers, you know.

DAM said...

Mark: True. Just when I thought Jodie's character would turn into something a lot more interesting.. POOF. (ok. I will not spoil anyone). HAHA. But yeah, it went from having some good potential to being underwhelming.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...