Tuesday, October 15, 2013

The Voice 5: Battle Rounds Part 1

Dear Simon Cowell, this is what finalists are supposed to sound like! I'm not usually a fan of the Battle Rounds as this was just the show's way of eliminating fodders and contestant's they don't like regardless of how they perform. But, minus maybe two middling performances, this episode was jam packed with strong duets that it was pretty surprising. Sure, there were a couple of weird decisions in terms of who they saved, but I digress.

Let's get on with the Battle Round!

Grey VS Nic Hawk
Domino
TEAM ADAM
At one point, I honestly felt that this was no contest as Nic has this weird squeaky tone to his voice that I wasn't particularly fond of, but he actually sounded better than his blind audition. However, Grey's rich and clear tone was front and center on this song. Plus, her grasp on her pitch was fantastic. She also managed to hit all of her high notes without sounding like she was shouting. That's a gift. Her vocals were too good to pass up even if Nic was entertaining.
VERDICT
Grey
STEAL
Nic Hawk (Team Blake)
----
Amber Nicole VS Timyra-Joi
Listen
TEAM CHRISTINA
Soaring ballad alright! Haha. I admit, sometimes, I love some good old fashion screamfest, and both of these girls were amazing! Not really a fan of Timyra-Joi, but she killed her parts. She has this raspy tone that's pretty interesting and somehow has a better stage persona than her competition. Amber, on the other hand, has a different timbre to her voice that I actually love and I think she's more versatile than Timyra. I was shocked no one stole her though.
VERDICT
Amber Nicole
----
Justin Chain VS Shelbie Z
Don't You Wanna Stay
TEAM BLAKE
I honestly didn't care much as to who wins this round - country battle round just doesn't interest me - but Shelbie actually sounded better than Justin despite not connecting with the song that much. She came off as someone more focused on singing the notes perfectly, which she did. They lacked chemistry and both had zero stage presence whatsoever.
VERDICT
Shelbie Z
----
Caroline Pennel VS Anthony Paul
As Long As You Love Me
TEAM CEE LO
This was a weird pairing, but both made it work. I was actually shocked that they sounded great together despite having different vocal stylings. Caroline's quirky inflections sounded terrific on the song especially the choices she made with her phrasing. Plus, she actually has a powerful side to her voice, which was surprising. Anthony has a smooth tone that was very soothing and has potential.
VERDICT
Caroline Pennel
STEAL
Anthony Paul (Team Christina)
----
Tessanne Chin VS Donna Allen
Next To Me
TEAM ADAM
I don't know why, but this was a little underwhelming. Donna needed to tone down all theatrics as she sounded like screaming more than anything else. She has a good voice, but her tone can get screechy when she hits those high notes. As for Tessanne, I still love the huskiness of her voice. She's able to sing with great range and power without being shouty.
VERDICT
Tessanne Chin
----
Briana Cuoco VS Jacquie Lee
House Of The Rising Sun
TEAM CHRISTINA
After good performances, we ended the episode with this?? Both were a tad shrill for my taste and there was a bit of oversinging going on. That said, I thought Jacquie had more control of her voice more than Briana. Oh, and I'm very surprised by 2 steals for Briana! She's not even great. Or was this because of her famous sister from the Big Bang Theory? Shoot me. I mean, her sister has gotten more airtime than some of the contestants. Haha.
VERDICT
Jacquie Lee
STEAL
Briana Cuoco (Team Blake)

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Doubt Briana's success has anything to do with her sister. You'd think NBC would be TRYING to get rid of the sister of the star of the hit CBS show.

DAM said...

Anonymous: I don't doubt it. Having a hit show on another network was never really an issue. As long as they kept on showing Kaley, then that's good enough for them. With the massive success of BBT, I'm not disregarding that fact considering that Briana's annoyingly mediocre.

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...