Saturday, May 23, 2015

The Voice 8: Top 4

Was this really the Finale performance episode? What happened? The Voice Season 4 started out REALLY great and somehow got lame as the weeks went by as the stronger singers get cut and we're left with some pretty inconsistent artists.

Also, what year was I in? The song choices were so old and dull, I felt like I was in the 1980s. Ugh. Oh, and don't get me started with the duets.

On with the show!

SOLOS

4. Meghan Linsey
When A Man Loves A Woman
[TEAM BLAKE]
What did we ever do to her to deserve so much shouting? It was like watching my mom scold me for two straight minutes. Awful. 4

3. Joshua Davis
Hallelujah
[TEAM ADAM]
I do not care for Joshua's version of Hallelujah. Yes, his slight gravelly tone to his voice sits good with the song, but how did he suck what little life in this song was left with ease? It's monotonous, boring, and not even remotely exciting. 4.5

2. Sawyer Fredericks
Old Man
[TEAM PHARRELL]
While Old Man wasn't exactly a departure from his usual performances, his voice sounded really strong. The placements of his notes were precise, the rich tone was front and center, and there's a rawness to his delivery that's really good. I might forget about this in a few days, but for what it's worth, this was a pleasant performance. 7

1. Koryn Hawthorne
It's A Man's Man's World
[TEAM PHARRELL]
This song git right in Koryn's sweet spot. True, I surely had doubts with the overdone song choice, but then again, a lot of people managed to make some stellar moments with the song - Juliet Simms for example - and Koryn was not exception. This was sensational. Her vocal control was impeccable, the pitch was spot on, and she just sang the living daylights out of this song. No complaints. 9

DUETS

4. Koryn Hawthorne
We Can Work It Out
[TEAM PHARRELL]
Yikes. At the very least, they were having fun. How I wish they made it a fun experience for us as well no? 4

3. Megahn Linsey
Freeway of Love
[TEAM BLAKE]
Clearly, Meghan sounds better when she doesn't have to sustain those high wailing notes. It's a fun performance and that's all I'm going to say about it. 5

2. Sawyer Fredericks
Summer Breeze
[TEAM PHARRELL]
This was probably the least offensive performance. It's pretty laidback duet, albeit nothing special. Pharrell sounded really weak though. 5.5

1. Joshua Davis
Diamonds on the Soles of Her Shoes
[TEAM ADAM]
Adam literally looked bored in Joshua. Haha. It felt like he was just going through the motions of the song. This was a perfectly decent if not particularly interesting duet. But seriously, what's with these old as hell song choices? 6

ORIGINALS

4. Meghan Linsey
Change My Mind
[TEAM BLAKE]
Hoarse and strained. By Meghan's standard, this was a tastefully restrained vocal. Her harsh tone was still grating though and the song itself sounded too dated to be a single in 2015. I don't know. It just went nowhere. 6

3. Koryn Hawthorne
Bright Fire
[TEAM PHARRELL]
Koryn's vocals were fine and I actually loved the sass, but the beat was so anemic, it lacked melody, and there's virtually no hook. I feel bad for Koryn. 6.5

2. Joshua Davis
The Workingman's Hymn
[TEAM ADAM]
Yes, the staging was a little odd, but this original song wasn't so bad. If you added a little banjo and steel guitar into this, this could be a huge country hit. That said, I actually enjoyed the song more than the performance. If you get what I mean. 7

1. Sawyer Fredericks 
Please
[TEAM PHARRELL]
Sawyer is an old soul and Please was a perfect match for his musicality. To my ears, he still sounded a little tentative, but his pleasant tone and masterful phrasing made up for it. This was definitely a winner's single. The competition was no doubt Sawyer's to lose and all I really wanted was for him to earn it, and I guess he did with this single. 8 


WHO SHOULD WIN?
Sawyer Fredericks

WHO WILL WIN?
Sawyer Fredericks

0 comments:

Post a Comment

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...